One: Lie

A/N: Hello there! Hamilmatsu here. This is my first Hetalia fanfic, so if the characters don't seem like they would be I apologize. I wanted to write about Depressed!America. His happy and accomplishing personality inspires me to write a depressing secret he could hide... because nobody can be happy for so long without breaking. Updates are slow since I try to aim for 1,000 words or more per chapter and because of school. Well, let's delve into America's secret shall we?

Summary: Little America ponders about his immortality. He makes the first lie.

II

Freedom: Having the will to act without restraint. 

I longed for independence. I didn't want to be lonely anymore when England left to his country. If I was free, I could visit and see England in the years to come. Yes, I still wanted to be his "little brother". And yes, once I had fallen in love with him. The thing is, I wanted to be a country he'd be proud of. Not just him, but all the whole world. Why couldn't they be proud of me? I don't get it. 

I was a young country at the time when I was colonized. I discovered I wasn't like "humans" in a painful way. I'm not naive as the other countries see me.

But...

I lied. 

I lied to protect myself. I lied so that others could never see the truth. I lied about my happiness to make the other nations believe this was me. I lied because I wanted to be like the rest. 

I never got what I asked for in the end.

One lie and nobody notices. 

I promised to keep this to myself.

"England?" My blue eyes dilated. I really loved him.

He turned, I saw his eyes. His fond and loving green gaze. I wish he still looked at me like that. 

"Yes, America?"

"How come I don't change? Why don't I age like other children?"

There came a long pause. I guess England didn't know how to word his response. I knew it. 

Here was the first lie.

Smile, America.

I did. I hadn't realized my voice squeaked and shouted at a boy about my age. Or at least I thought. 

"Davie!"

Oh. Davie...

My first and final human friend. 

Everyone is oblivious to an act that I put up. It's easy to fool older nations if you have a smile on all the time. You act like you're okay, when it isn't okay. I learned of this after I met Davie... and when I witnessed his death. 

Humans.

They have something that no strong nation could ever have.

Death.

They live their lives to the fullest, then they die just like that.

Whoever dies, doesn't come back no matter what.

But I wanted to end this miserable life. And that is what I did. 

In this tale that happened to me a few years back, I would die.

Death's hands become hold of me.

The hero would be...

Dead.