Five: Brothers

(Picture doesn't belong to me.)

A/N: Wowie! It's been awhile! I'm sorry I haven't been updating so much, but anyway here's a flashback chapter. If anyone is wondering, I plan to make this story 30-50 chapters long. The chapter has direct quotes from episode 20 (America's Storage Room Cleaning.), where we read more into how America felt during the war. This chapter is also kinda short, but the chapters from then on will be longer. Here's Chapter 5!

II

Unlimited amounts of rain poured on muddy land. A rifle was aimed at a hunched figure standing alone. Pain, fear, and regret was visible in the green eyes of the British man who had the barrel directly pointed at him. He lifted his head only to be met with by piercing blue eyes. These eyes displayed fortitude. As the man scrutinized the motionless eyes, he saw that beneath his intense stare was unhappiness. He didn't understand. Why? Why was this happening? 

The American Revolution. 

"Hey, England." 

England grit his teeth. His throat was dry and every part of his body was trembling. Many soldiers stood behind the one person he didn't want to harm or yield to. The United States of America. 

"After all, I want freedom! I'm no longer a child nor your little brother. I'll become independent from you from now on." America's breathing hitched as he declared those words. The words that held no meaning to him. He was breaking down just by watching England's distressed appearance. Stay strong, America. I can't fail my people or my country. 

The Brit ran and pointed the sharp point of his rifle at America, letting go of the past and his emotions to do so. His sudden movement caught America off guard. America quickly used his gun as protection against the Brit's attack. 

 "I-I won't allow it!" England yelled in agony. 

The strength of England knocked America's rifle out of his hands and into the air. Soon, it dropped to the wet ground. The gun was away from America's reach, Yet his men were still armed. England's breathing became rapid and hoarse. There was only indomitably in the younger personification's blue eyes. I'm not backing down! Not to England, for my country needs me!

A tense air surrounded the battlefield. No words were exchanged after England's strike for about a minute. The personifications were merely observing the other's eyes, looking for some kind of resolution. 

"This is why I say you don't follow thing's through to the end, you dummy." England muttered, crestfallen. He didn't bring down his weapon. America's men soon pointed their weapons at him. I'm going to lose him. England thought, chuckling sadly to himself. I will be lonely again. In the past England has been hurt by other countries, such as France, but never before has it drive him into tears. He saw no shame in crying because the rain would mask his salty tears. 

Now America seemed at a loss for words. To be completely honest, he wished that this war was just a terrible dream and he would wake up any minute. As he noticed the other country lowering the gun, America slowly returned to reality. America drew in a sharp breath, casting an awkward glance at England. 

Only remorse could be seen in England's green eyes. He was sick and tired of this bloody war. 

"There's no way I could shoot you, is there?" He abandoned the gun and his knees gave out. "You dummy!" 

His eyes dilated, both in confusion and recognition. England cherished him, no loved him. America was blind from the beginning. The fighting, the continuous concerns, the way he acted and looked at him. Here he was, firm that his former caretaker was the strongest out of all countries. However, instead there was a groveled, broken man. America was wrong, again.  

"Dammit! Why?! Dammit!" England's words brimmed with anguish and physical pain. 

Now America felt more guilty than before. England never deserved to suffer like this, especially not in the hands of his... former brother. The amount of apologies would never make up this war, which suddenly tore their once strong relationship. The world crashed down on America. Must he lie once again? 

"England..."

 The second lie. 

"You were so great once..." What am I saying?  I don't want to speak these bitter words when I don't mean them. I-I'm such... a terrible country. This isn't fair. Someone! Anyone in the damn world-

-please kill me.