Something's Wrong

Slowly, Anthony moved to turn off Jordans awful beeping alarm. Jordan wasn't in bed but he guessed that he was downstairs by the smell of pancakes, so he went downstairs to investigate. Arriving at the kitchen Anthony saw a note on the table.

Anthony,
                My mother has gone to work early and I had something to eat ready for school. I have left you some breakfast ,pancakes, on the table and the key for the house next to them. Just leave your plate and fork next to the sink and lock the front door on your way out. Thanks.
                               Jordan.

Fiddling with the key, Anthony ate his breakfast and got ready for school. On his way out he locked the front door.

Outside of the school was packed when Anthony got there, kids and their parents were trying to push their was in screaming and shouting about getting information on something. Jolting forward as if he was going to sprint, Anthony felt a hand on the back of his neck. He turned to see the head teacher and his other best friend Emma.
"Come, quickly, before the other kids and parents see you. No time for questions" they hurried. Anthony ran with the two, in through a side door that led straight into to the gym. Swiftly, they made their way to the head's office where they sat and took a breather.

"What's happening?" Anthony asked, his hands trembling with fear.
"The-the the other parents" Emma breathed. She held a finger up to gather her breath again. " They heard about your parents. They want answers, they don't have a full story so they are paranoid."

"That's why you need to stay out of sight and we need to know what's gone on. Well, at least I do, she can stay if you like" Mr. Whicker said.
Mr. Whicker was a nice man, as long as you didn't misbehave. He was calm and caring but more importantly, he understood. He wanted to become a teacher after he was bullied by some kids his age and over for a bit of fun and then he wanted to make sure other kids didn't feel like he did.

Anthony explained everything to the pair of them and when he finished Emma threw her arms around Anthony.
"You should have told me." Wet patches formed on Anthony's shoulders. She was crying.
"I just did. I couldn't tell you last night if I didn't know that they were truly missing." A knock at the door made Emma jump and wipe her eyes with the back of her sleeve.
"Who is it?" Mr. Whicker asked, his voice was a little croaky.
"The police." The man outside replied emotionless.
"Come in."

"We don't have to make this public if you want." The officer said finally.
"Please don't. I don't want any trouble." Anthony sobbed. His eyes were puffy and red and his cheeks were red too.
"We have to find a way to cover this up though whilst we investigate."
"Tell them that my parents have gone on a trip and I'm staying with Emma and her family while they're gone." The officer nodded and gave Mr. Whicker his card and left the school.

"That's okay with you isn't it, I mean staying with you? We're going to have to tell your mum what's going on though." Emma nodded and then they silently shuffled to their next class. Anthony was being asked questions throughout the day and he had to keep reminding himself that he was lying and that made the truth hurt more. Wanting his parents back he almost decided that he was going to start believing himself and forget the truth and be one with his never ending lie. It was Emma that stopped him though, the living reminder. She helped him keep faith in the truth and stopped him from getting irrational thoughts.

He went back to Jordans this afternoon with Emma to collect his things, then they packed some stuff from his house. Nobody was in Jordan's house so he left them a note to say he was staying with Emma.

When they got to Emma's house the news was on.

Today officer Barton has gone missing along with Anthony dove's parents. We have Mr. Broom here to tell us more about young Anthony's parents.

Anthony's parents have gone on a long Holliday and left their child ,Anthony, in the care of the Wood family. Anthony has not lost his parents and knows about the situation.

Thank you Mr. Broom that bit of insight. Is Anthony's parents really on Holliday or are they making up a cover story? We will be back later with more news.

"I didn't think you minded mum." Emma spoke first hiding her face with her bag. She explained everything to her mother and she agreed to take Anthony in while they find his parents.
"Take as long as you need," she spoke softly.

***

Saturday's news was worse,

Mrs. Broom has gone missing and her son Jordan devastated ...