15

Thump-budda-thump-budda-thump

"Shi-" Lee turns around towards the noise.

"We need to run." I tug on Adam's arm, my voice still quiet.

But no one does.

They gaze out towards small figures of horses, galloping.

Towards us.

I swivel on my feet and start running away. (Eventually) Daniel and the others pelt behind us apart from Toboni who runs past me but slows down so I can lead the group.

"Forest!" Ruben calls out.

"Never again! I burnt it out last time!" I yell over the roars of the people behind us.

BANG!

Dust blasts in my eyes as I know a bullet pelted past us.

"THEY'RE TRYING TO KILL US!!" Daniel cries.

I take glances around us but the only way to evade them is the path ahead of us.

"The path's the only way!" I rasp out.

"In that case, I'll lead," Toboni ran in front and I can see why she'd volunteer to lead. It's because of her speed and strength.

We follow her through the path, ignoring the pain in the bottom of the soles of my feet and the sensational pain of my burns from the fire. Running behind Toboni, I can see a ruddy terrible burn on the back of her neck and a bit of her black jacket gone as if someone ripped a chunk off her collar and brown stains on it with small holes which look a bit like bullet holes.

"Lawrence! Hurry up!" Daniel called back as I realise I am lagging behind everyone else.

I sprint towards them (at one point I almost fall over) whilst ignoring the burns which rub against my clothing painfully.

I wince every few steps and Adam looks back, turns around and picks me up. "Not leaving you behind."

I feel a weird warmth rush to my neck and cheeks and then I realise-

I'm blushing.

Violently.

"Lawrence Holloway...!" I hear.

"Crap. They're getting closer!" I yell to Toboni.

"Then we have no choice other than to run faster!" Toboni yells and as we keep running, I see a bridge.

Now's the time.

I grab my pistol from my bag and I load, cock the weapon and I aim behind Adam. I aim more precisely as more dust fly up past us. I pull the trigger again and everything is silent and all I can hear is my gunfire and I high-pitched yell.

I push myself off Adam and land on my stomach.

"LAWRENCE!"

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

"COME ON!!"

Petrified screaming from Daniel, Toboni and Ruben reaches me.

I stand up and I see the figures more clearly.

There are three people on horseback, one of which I seem to recognise. She has short blonde hair with white clothing, the same as Steven-

Crap.

It's Jeanine Elizabeth herself.

I stand up and throw my gun to Toboni. "AIM FOR THE LEGS OF THE BRIDGE!"

She aims for it and fires at them.

I feel the bridge crumble beneath me and I retreat from the rest of them.

"LAWRENCE! GET BACK HERE!" Jeanine roars antagonistically.

I keep running and as the bridge collapses in front of me, I jump towards the others.

I'm ain't gonna make it-

I feel myself fall but something grasps hold of my hand. A warm hand.

"Guys! Come on! HELP!" it is Daniel. Crying for assistance.

I look into Daniel's eyes and smiles warmly into mine.

I feel myself get pulled up and over the remains of the bridge, dragging me onto my stomach.

They all stare down at me and laugh. Not in a comedic way but in a way to congratulate my bravery.

"We thought we were gonna lose you, L!" Toboni helps me onto my feet and wraps an arm over my shoulder.

Just like what Nat would've done.

Is Toboni the new Nat to me?

If she is trying, then it's working.