Chapter 2

My name is London Perez. For years I have served as a slave for Rayan Lopez. Ever since I was 10 years old, my whole life has revolved around drugs, sex, and a whole lot of pain. So much pain. Here I am, 6 years later, still in the same situation. I have bruises everywhere on my body from my disobedience. I am taught to keep my mouth shut by daily beatings, and getting raped about twice a day. It happens every time I act out.

In this life, the word 'no' does not exist. If Rayan asks me to do something, the expected word to come out of my mouth is 'yes'. If any other word, not related to the word 'yes' comes out, I can expect a beating later on.

Sometimes, I think to myself: Why me? Why do I have to live this life? What did I do to deserve this kind of treatment?

I try to think of something I could have done wrong, but I can never think of anything.

Here, I am treated like I am nothing. I don't get fed enough, and I basically wear the same thing every day. I want my life to change. I want to have a real family; one who will comfort me in times of need. I want to have real friends; ones that I can go to the mall with or talk about boys with. I want a life where I don't have to constantly be in fear of people hurting me. I want to start over and be normal. And most of all, I want to be loved.

I have tried multiple times to escape, but I have been caught every single time. And each time I was caught, I would get the worst beating of my life.

When I am off duty from my "job," I sit in my little uncomfortable room and I plot out ways that could possibly help me escape.

I need to find a route. A route that will take me to my final destination. To the place where I was meant to be.

I have been stuck here too long, and I need to get out. I need to start a new life, and leave this one behind. There is only so much time before it is too late to leave. In 3 1/2 weeks, Rayan is planning to sell me to one of his partners who is going to take me to New York to do some "extra hard labor."

When I found out, my mind was set. I knew I had to escape or that was it. I would be a slave until I died, or they killed me first. It was rare, but it did happen. Once in a while, a slave would get punished by death. I lost my friend Maria that way. She was a rebel, and people who choose to try and rebel are severely punished. Rebellion is one of the easiest ways to die in this place. As much as I want to take a stand and fight, I can't. That will ruin any chance I have at possibly reuniting with my brother Jacob.

When I finally leave this place, I will search for him and possibly return things back to normal....But then I remember that my life will never be normal. I will always be living in constant fear of being hurt by someone. I don't think I will ever be able to trust a soul on this whole damn earth. Everything I once knew is gone. And everything I once loved has been robbed of me. Rayan did this to me. He made me feel this immense pain that I will have to live with every day for the rest of my life. He is the reason I won't be able to be normal, act normal, or have a halfway normal life. He is the reason I will probably never find true happiness in life.

He has robbed me of life.

He has taken away my real life and replaced it with a life I've never wanted. This is not life though. This is just a dark part of me that is threatening to tear me apart from the inside and out. With this dark cloud circling my head, I will not be able to make it anywhere in life. That is exactly what Rayan was trying to accomplish. And it worked.

But I can't stand this darkness anymore, and this is why I chose to run. To get away from all violence and drugs. To get away from all the unhappiness and solitary confinement. I want to be free. I want to live.