Him

"Angela...Angela, wake up. We're here." My mom said with a smile.

I fluttered my eyes open. It was a light pink house. I cringed remembering how much I hate pink. I sighed, opening the car door.

~twenty minutes later~

I went through boxes, seeing which ones were mine.

"Where's Will?" I asked.

Me and Will were already like brother and sister after we got use to each other for three years. My real dad, Bryon, and my younger brother, Trinton, who was eight, had gotten into a car crash five years ago. He would be twelve in a few months. I was fourteen.

"Will is with his friends. He'll be here soon."

I licked my lips, blinking a couple of times. "This is going to be the worst year ever," I muttered, looking through boxes.

"Is this about meeting friends?" My mom asked, hanging up pictures.

"No," I said, and I carried a box upstairs to my room. As I sat my box down, I sighed. Walking up to the window, I said to myself, "Well, it's a good day to play baseball." And that's when I saw him.

He looked up and licked his lips. Then he waved with a smile. I couldn't help but grin when I waved back.

Maybe this won't be such a bad year after all, I thought. And he disappeared from the window...

~hours later/stuff unpacked~

"Angela! Will's here!" My mom screamed, I rushed down stairs.

"Ang!" Will screamed, wrapping me in a hug.

I hugged him back. "Hey, Will. Can we go walking? Is there a baseball field around here or something?" I asked, scratching my head.

"Yeah," he said, "can she go to the sandlot with me?"

My mom nodded.

When we were outside, I mumbled, "thank you," causing him to laugh.

We walked a little farther in silence and finally reached a baseball field. It was amazing. Way better than the one back home. It was beautiful. There were two teams playing. A guy in a pink long sleeve was up to bat. It was the same I guy I saw in my window.

"This is the Sandlot," Will said.

I was staring at the boy batting. Will caught me, chuckling. "Ain't ya gonna ask who he is?"

Without hesitation, I did.

"That's Benny Rodriguez. The best ball player I've seen since Babe Ruth."

That's Benny Rodriguez. Justin's cousin.

Finally, the game was over. I could've sworn I saw Benny glance at me a few times.

"Will!" Someone screamed. He took me with him.

"Hey." Will smiled.

"Who's this?" A boy, a little chubby, with red hair an freckles asked.

"My step-sister, Angela."

"Hi, I'm Hamilton Porter. You can call me Ham." The whole team was looking at Will and I except for Benny and one other kid. They were talking to each other.

"Benny! Smalls! Meet Angela, Will's sister."

"Step-sister." I corrected.

Ham laughed. "step-sister," he said.

Benny looked at me, licking his lips and blinking. Wow, I thought, he has the same habits I do.

"Oh, uh...hi. I'm Benny...Rodriguez." He stuck out a hand and I shook it. He cleared his throat after staring at me for what seemed like forever. He was gorgeous. He had dark brown hair, maybe black, that was mid length. He had beautiful brown eyes, like mine, but prettier, and flawless tan skin. He was built, strong looking, and skinny.

"Meet the team," he said. "This is Timmy and Tommy Timmons. Michael Squints Palledorous. Alan MacClain, we call 'em "Yeah-Yeah". Bertram Grover Weeks, Kenny DeNunez, Hamilton Porter, called Ham, and that's Scottie Smalls, who we call Smalls. He was the new one last year."

I smiled. "Nice to meet y'all."

"Do you like baseball?" Benny asked.

Ooh, his voice! I thought.

Before I could answer, Will spoke up, "boy, can she play? She's the best girl I've seen. Probably better than any professional. Kidding, but girls got aim."

I laughed at Benny's amazed face.
"I wasn't only the neighborhood legend, I was the state legend. Everyone knew me. I grew up with eight boys and played every day with them. Hot days, cold days, rain, snow, whatever. It was all the same to me."

Benny smirked, "I'll challenge you then. Come here. Grab the bat. Throw you some heaters." I grabbed the bat.

"Oh man," DeNunez said with wide eyes, "that's why we never let Benny pitch. Even without trying, he throws heaters, and no one, and I mean no one can ever hit them. He throws 'em like 200 mph."

I chuckled. "Try me."

Benny threw the ball after saying, "I'll throw it slow, then faster by your command."

I hit it. He blinked a couple times before throwing a faster one, still hit it. "Wow," he said.

"Okay, Angela. Here's my heater. The fastest. Ready?"

I licked my lips, "bring it." I positioned the bat in my hands and popped my neck. He pulled back, pitching the ball as fast as he possibly could, and let me tell you, DeNunez was right, it did feel like 200 mph. As hard as it was, I threw my bat back, swinging it in the air, hitting the ball over the fence.

The boys stood there in amazement. "Damn. You have to join." Benny begged.

Without hesitation, I agreed. "Okay."

Everyone cheered. Benny ran over to me, pulling a hat out of his pocket. "Here, take this. One of my old LA hats. Every morning at eight, if that's okay."

I agreed.

"Thanks Benny."

He winked at me. Man, he's dreamy, I thought, before walking home with Will.

I'm really digging this chapter. Please comment feedback, I'm enjoying writing this so much and thanks for reading and rating. Shout out to Jojobear56 i think she's my number one fan 😂anyway, thanks guys, and I'll be adding the next chapter soon. Ily!😘💫stay gold
-brodriguez___30