Chapter One; December Meeting (pt.1)

Damn... I forgot my jacket. It's freezing out here.

It's December. It's freezing.

I'm on my way to the Phantomhive Estate to see Ciel, my family's number one trading partner. My family is in the tea business, and the Phantomhive's create toys...

Ciel and I are the same age, so my mother finds it convenient. Instead of her or my father having to travel to the Phantomhive estate... They send me.

I don't find it bothersome. Ciel and I get along at least seventy percent of the time, and when we're on bad terms I spend my time trying on multiple dresses with his maid, Mey-Rin.

She's a sweetheart. We always talk about how she fawns over Sebastian.

... Sebastian. That name makes me want to throw up. I can't stand him.

His 'emotions' are completely transparent. His smile... fake. His laugh... fake. His heart... fake. Sometimes I get the feeling that he's not even a human being. Every human experiences emotions, but... It's like he doesn't. It's as if... He was built. He's a machine running on power.

I wish he would leave.

*Twenty Minutes Later*

The carriage door swings open to reveal the raven butler. I cringe and step outside into the brisk winter air. "Bloody hell. I can't stand this. It's late. I'm hungry... I'm exhausted." I complain as soon as the cold air touches my bare skin.

"Come, m'lady, the young lord is awaiting your arrival." Sebastian leads me into the exquisite mansion.

"Ah, Elena, you've arrived. It's been what... like... two, three months?" Ciel's always venomous, but attractive, voice rings in my ears.

"It feels like it's only been two days since we last saw each other... I swear, sometimes I think they should just make me live out here with you..." I sigh.

Ciel cracks a small smile that I can see before it turns back into his boring, neutral expression, "Well... It's very late. Maybe we should just talk tomorrow morning."

I nod in agreement, "They always send me out here really late. I'll show myself to my room unless Lizzie is here."

Sebastian looks at me, "Lizzie is here. You'll have to stay in... Oh dear..."

I chuckle. Sebastian never messes up. "I can just stay in the den. There's a couch in there, right?"

Ciel nods, but looks disappointed in Sebastian, and also because Lizzie is always here whenever I'm here.

Sebastian opens his mouth to speak but is cut off by the sound of Ciel's voice, "Elena isn't sleeping in the den. It's always cold in there. She'll sleep in my room. I'll sleep in the den."

Sebastian glares at Ciel and sighs, "Bocchan, please, let the lady decide where she'll sleep."

I know you're trying to get me to sleep in that freezing cold den.

Then, an idea pops up, "Mey-Rin has two beds in her room right? I can sleep on her spare."

Ciel looks at me, genuinely upset that I didn't take his offer.

"I don't want to steal your bed from you, Ciel."

"I offered to let you sleep there."

"Yeah, and I'm going to decline that offer because if I'm not going to freeze then you're not going to freeze."

Ciel looks at me, defeated. I smirk and skip up the stairs and down the hall to Mey-Rin's room.

*Ciel's POV*

I stare at the girl skipping away from me. Our families have been trade partners for years. Elena and I have spent a lot of time together ever since I took over the family business.

We're a lot alike, except that her heart is warm and caring, while mine is cold and demanding.

"Damn, I wish she would've slept in the den." Sebastian says through gritted teeth.

Sebastian has never acted like this. He never shows hatred for someone... Except maybe Grell, but I'm not even sure that he hates him...

"You have to treat Elena right, Sebastian. She's my only friend... The only other person I trust besides you."

"That's why I can't stand her."

"....Just because I can stand her presence doesn't mean she'll replace you or she'll have the pleasure of devouring my soul."

I begin to walk up the stairs and wait for his footsteps to sound behind me, but they don't.

"I'm sorry, bocchan, I cannot accompany you to bed tonight, I have errands to run. Please forgive me."

I nod and walk to my room alone. The hall is dark, and I can barely see in front of me, so it doesn't surprise me when I bump into someone.

"Ouch!" A loud whisper sounds in front of me.

"Elena?"

*Elena's POV*

"Ouch!" I yell as quietly as possible.

"Elena?" Ciel's quiet voice rings once again in my ears.

Oh god, not Ciel...

"Elena, why are you wandering around the hall?"

"...I have to go to the bathroom but I forgot where it's at."

He leads me into his dimly lit room and points to the bathroom across the room from his bed. I smile and run in there.

So... This is the forbidden room. I've never been in here before. I can't believe he actually let me in.

I quietly open the door and see him sitting on the bed getting ready to take his patch off. His rings lie on the bedside table already.

I cautiously walk over to him and reach behind his head, pulling on the strings of his patch. "Thanks." He mumbles as he lies it next to the rings.

"You're welcome." I crack a smile.

He looks at me with lonely eyes, and my emotions soar through the roof. Whenever he looks at me I get this overwhelming feeling of sadness... I hate it so much.

"So, what's the real reason you were wandering the hall?"

"Oh... Mey-Rin was snoring so I couldn't sleep. I was going to go downstairs to the den, but I got lost."

He frowns, "Please don't sleep in there. You can sleep in here... With... Me.... If you want."

I blush insanely, "What?"

His eyes widen, suddenly realizing what he just said, "Oh, god, I didn't... um... I'll take you down to the den."

I laugh, "Don't be so nervous, thanks for offering to walk me downstairs, but I think I can do it myself."

He looks at me, "Would you like some extra blankets?"

"Do you even know where they're at?"

He blinks a few times and then sighs, "No, unfortunately I don't, Sebastian takes care of these things."

"Well then, I should be fine. Good night, Ciel."

I sigh, and leave the room.

It's cold in the den. No... It's not cold... It's freezing.

I only have one blanket, and a small cushion to rest my head on.

I definitely won't be getting much sleep tonight.