...04... Marvelous to Miserable

She didn't feel very confident. And somehow, she managed to come to terms with it. The nervousness lingered but another force strongly withheld her from running away from this opportunity. Determination.

Her heels clicked on the shiny marble floor as she held her head high and walked in careful steps towards the direction the receptionist had pointed.

It was a maze of corridors. Finally finding the right one, she let herself be relieved.

The way the whole building was designed was very intriguing and she found herself observing every minute detail. What was originally a distraction from nervousness turned into fascination.

The opposite walls of the corridor were black and the marble tiles were more on the cream-ish side. Long, metallic and triangular figures adorned both the walls, which were stuck to it and kind of resembled a net.

Words couldn't even start to describe it. The whole structure screamed modern art while she, staring at it in awe, was almost on the verge of forgetting the interview.

"Who do we have here?" A voice seemed to pull her away from her trance. She noticed the slight annoyance it held.

Looking in the direction of the voice, she caught the stare of a lady--probably a year or two older than herself-- with her arms folded who seemed to be scrutinizing Blair's every breath.

"I'm Blair Casella. I was sent up here for an interview for an internship," She replied, trying to keep her voice as sweet as possible. "Is Miss. Mary in there?"

"An intern?" She mocked, looking at Blair with an undignified gaze. "Haven't had one in months!" She laughed and plopped down on her seat, completely disregarding her question.

It seemed to tick something off in Blair and all she could think about was coming up with a witty response to her statement. But somehow, her mind went blank.

Swallowing up her irritation, she repeated, "Is Miss. Mary in there?"

"Well... you don't seem very observant. Haven't you seen the name written in big, bold letters right on the door? Obviously, it's Miss. Mary's cabin."

Blair looked at the woman in confusion but then realised that her question had been misinterpreted. Frowning, she muttered a 'thank you' and heard something along the lines of 'do your worst' in response.

If I do get this internship, I might just end up strangling this woman the second I find a chance.

She thought, surprised by the control she had on her anger while that devil-of-a-woman insulted her.

As she stood in front of the door, she heard the woman behind her making a call and probably informing the boss inside of Blair's presence because the next thing she heard was a loud 'come in' from inside the cabin.

In an effort to reassure herself, Blair sucked in a huge breath before deciding to open the door. Her fingers gripped the handle tightly before giving it a gentle push.

What she expected-- or what any other normal person in her place would've expected- was a spacious, dull, cabin with a certain aura of intimidation.

What she didn't expect was a series of bright colours striking her eyes as soon as she could have a peep into the room.

What she certainly didn't expect was her boss to be casually sitting on the chair with her legs folded on the table with her head hidden behind the screen of her laptop.

"Excuse me," Blair muttered hesitantly but the silence in the room carried her low words across.

The face that looked up had her in shock for a few moments.