8. Zahra : A flower from heaven

I took the chain and pendant from the pouch. It is exquisite. I cant believe Stuart spent a fortune for this stone. It felt good to receive something for once. I got my last gift when I was 14, when my mother gave me a small Perl earing for my birthday. It all went to Munira by default when she moved in, and that was last I have seen the earing. I have absolutely nothing to remember my mother except for the 3 pics I have on her. My favorite is the one she is holding me when I was born.

I remember dad very often. I tried even calling him many times. He didn't answer my calls. When I call the home number, who every pick up just hung when they listen to my voice. I know I am going to be insulted if they speak to me. But that's family.

I dialed my dad one more time. No answer.

Dialed home number.

"Hello" That's Faiza.

"Assalamualaikum Faiza. Zainab here. Please don't hang up."

"What do you want? Haven't you done enough damage to our family already?" Here we go again.

"Is dad there? Can I speak to him? Please"

"I don't think he wants to speak to you. My fiancé told that you are sleeping with the boss. He is overlooking your lack of character in marrying me. But I don't want anything to do with you. Stop calling and harassing us."

"Faiza, you know as well as I do, I am not sleeping with the boss. Anyway, let me just speak to dad. It's been almost 8 months since I last spoke to him."

I heard Faiza calling Munira. This is exactly how I thought it would be.

"Ammi, Zainab wants to speak to dad"

"Tell her dad doesn't want to speak to her" I over heard Munira saying.

"Please Faiza. Tell him it's me. I just speak to him for 2 mins. Please" If anyone in the family who is little less malicious towards me, then it is Faiza. She is cruel, I give her that, but I have seen glimpse of kindness also from her.

"Okay" 

Then there was dead silence for 2 minutes. I waited anticipating.

"Hello" Dad spoke. I couldn't much gather anything from his voice.

"Assalamualaikum dad"

"Walaikumsalaam. I thought I made myself clear that I don't want anything to do with you. I hear you have totally fallen in to haram and now selling yourself to the boss. Well, what can I expect from you after all."

"Dad, you know it is not true"

"No, I don't know if it is not true. And please don't call me again. You have bought our family nothing but shame."

"Dad, please. Like it or not, you are all I have. Will you speak to me atleast once a month, just to listen to your voice?" I couldn't stop the tears. It hurts. These accusations, these insults and rejection hurts.

"Zainab, one last time. If you call me again, I will take action against you?" what?? He will do to his own daughter?

"Seriously dad?" I asked shocked.

And dad hang the phone on me. I know this would happen. But my religion says to keep family ties. So I shall. Whatever said and done he is my father. I will call him until he learns the truth. It will take time but one thing I am is, patient.

The phone rang again. Stuart. Great timing.

"Hello"

"Babe are u asleep?" He asked.