Sir Montague: Knight of Canterberry City

Skeletons are misunderstood creatures, even then. Skeletons are a rarity, often seen as a servant of the evil. Risen from the dead to do horrid reckoning.

And Solaria had never hurled a fire ball so fast in her life. The skeleton let out a high pitch scream, ducking in shock.

"Please don't hurt me! I am nothing but bone!" he squealed, falling to his knees, his joints clattering as his shiny silver visor fell over his face.

Holly rolled have eyes, "You big pile of bones...you scared the living hell out of us! I thought you were Merlot for a split moment...until I forgot how quiet she really is compared to you!"

The skeleton looked up in a vacant horror, "Merlot? Where?" he ducked into a bramble bush, the thorns would have no effect on it obviously.

"You know this monster?" Solaria gawked.

"Rude!" it retorted.

Holly crossed his arms, "Being called a monster is a compliment for you, bone head."

This caused the skeleton to rise from the misty dirt and brambles, "Mr. Bone-Head was my father, I'd thank you for being respectful if you weren't lacking in that department."

Holly sighed as she turned to Solaria, "This is Sir Montague, a former night of Canterberry City."

"Canterberry City?"

"An ancient city that was wiped out by the Black Death."

"Ah...the whole city?"

"Whoever was left behind..." Holly murmured. "The first case of the Black Death in Canterberry, and everyone fled. They left everything. Farms and livestock alike...those who stayed died...the whole place was burned down because anyone who dared to tread its path fell dead, even the Plague Doctors."

Solaria shuttered as the stories of those harbingers of death were burned into her mind by her mother. The dark cloak, glass goggles, leather beaks tipped with black wax and stuffed with strong herbs to ward away the foul stench that would give you this mark of death, black and rotting. Luna had once deemed the foul smell as many physicians did, miasma.

It was common knowledge, even in these times with small villages, if you saw a man in black with a long leather beak. It was no better than greeting death.

Solaria could remember, very hazily through her memories as a six-year-old, Mr. Yates' house being quarantined by a red cross painted on the Apothecary door.

Watching as that beaked reaper stepped through the streets, his cane tapping the dirt as he walked. Seeing his shadow in the noon light gave Solaria nightmares. A week later, Mrs. Yates was seen being carried away on cart, sleeping with black rotting sores on her skin, along with many burn marks and herb specks left about.

How Mr. Yates lived would be a miracle. Every doctor would ask him how, even Stellaria was astounded. And even hurt if Solaria could recall, seeing as her own grandmother fell to that disease in a matter of hours.

Solaria swallowed the lump in the back of her throat, "And...you died from it...?" she stuttered, her blood growing cold.

The skeleton nodded, "In life, I was a man of great honor! A knight to our former Queen Elizabeth III! I had everything I wanted, I was to be betrothed, I was well off with much money to be had, and I was honored by everyone! Until I fell ill! Alas, I had thought I was just achy from training until I found the swollen death mark upon the pit of my arm. A month would seem to pass before my heart stopped. They did everything. They made me drink potions, put mercury up the dark side, burned my sores with an onion, and let my blood flow to balance my humors. They did find plenty of black bile, I tell you!"

Holly nearly gagged, "Silence yourself..."

Solara nodded, "If you would be so kind..."

The skeleton snorted, "It's Hollow's Eve, my job is to scare..."

"What do you want Montague...?" Holly muttered.

"The moon is red, you're in the woods again, forgive me for being skeptical..." Montague grumbled, "And now I know Merlot is involved, I know you will need a big strong knight to guide you through the forest."

"Says the one who cowered under my fireball..." Solaria whispered under her breath.

Montague would have rose an eyebrow if he had any, "Excuse me?"

Holly cut in, "Monty...not that I don't appreciate the offer...but we're going up the mountain, you'll slow us down..."

"Says the one with meat and fat with a body!"

Holly's face grew red, "Excuse me?"

Solaria knew Monty's kind. The one so determined that he would stand in their way to grate at their nerves.

"Holly..."

Holly glared at Solaria, "What?"

"Let's just take him with us..."

"You can't be serious..."

"We don't have time to argue...who knows what Merlot is doing as we squabble!"

Holly was silent, she glanced away from Solaria. Her eyes were misted by annoyance.

Solaria smirked, "You know I'm right..."

Holly sighed, "Fine...let's go!"

The skeleton grinned and turned to the path ahead, "Fear not! I will protect you!"

Holly was not impressed.