The Climb

Time was not on Solaria's side, that much was apparent. With the Youth Venom in her bloodstream, and an unhealthy dose of it, she only had only a few hours to find those herbs. The Mountain Mint to be more specific. At least Lily was kind enough to give her one of her own crystal vials, a palmful of the supposed lake salt, and a few shreds of the seaweed. Luckily it could all fit in Solaria's pockets.

Seeing as the lake was large and the path up the Misty Mountains was on the other side, going through the lake was not an option, but with a well placed muttered spell under her breath, Solaria was able to walk along the water, her feet kissing the surface and leaving fading white foot prints as she walked.

The surface was like ice, a thin sheet of ice. Though the water rippled like rings of white, it was not a stretch that to believe with the falling climate, ice would grow in crystals in the water soon enough. That would be horrid, considering the creatures that live in the deep lake.

When Solaria hit the other side of the lake, she turned back to the mer, who only her eyes could be seen in the darkness, like pale yellow opals.

"Thank you...I...I hope to repay you one day..." a patient smile, a rarity.

Lilly grinned, revealing many rows of razor sharp pointed teeth, "Why not when the sin is cast from the mountain as you so claim? I'm not doing anything of importance."

Solaria's eyes widened, "Are you asking me on a stroll?"

"Well, I don't have legs, but with your magic, I am certain that is possible..." Lilly mused, "Or you could join me, I know many great sights in and passed this lake, for we are all connected, us lakes."

"I'm not as strong as you think..." Solaria muttered, "I barely have enough magic to move plants around and create fireballs."

"Ah but you do have something Solaria...your soul is brimming with determination..." Lilly purred, her webbed fingers swirled in the waters.

Solaria's face burned red, "You know my name."

"Everyone on this side of the Misty Mountains knows of you and your mother. And we know full well your mother's accomplishments...even down here the smoke from the dragon muddled with the water." Lilly recalled, "I wasn't even born at the time, oh but we know...we always have."

"Well, it's good that creatures from the air to the land and sea know of my mother and everything she had done for us..." Solaria murmured.

"So..." Lilly leaned more onto the grass, placing her head into her hands in a dreamy manner, "What do you say darling? After your victory? I only want to get to know the witch who nearly rolled into my lake, taking a tumble through the Thorns of Youth to save us all. "

Solaria smirked, "We'll see if I can even make it back, Lilly you said you name was?"

Lilly nodded and watched as Solaria made stepped onto the swirling trail, as the mist began to gather once again.

"You aren't Holly...well no matter...at least I can have some more fun before the fight..."

***

The trail was winding upward, dark, coated in cold mist. Dirt hid sharp stones that would slice sensitive feet, and the terrain was hard as it would transform skin into calluses and blisters if one was dumb enough to wear boots without stockings.

The air became thin and cold with every incline, but Solaria was determined. Once you go onward and upward, to go down would be a coward's work. At least in this brave witches' mind.