The Trail of Holly

Hollow's Eve aproached slowly. No one seemed to care or notice how the moon glowed amber. There were no lanturns on the streets, no pumpkins, no cakes and ale. No jovial laughter or singing to nature. Not even a crow nor raven dared to stir in the black breezy night.

No person dared to step out their homes, and no one dared to give light. The whole village was dark and desolate. One would think that this village had been abandoned. Not even the animals were free to roam. Pigs, cows, sheep, all walks of animals were locked away in barns. Cats and dogs were caged indoors, never to see the moonlight no matter how much they hissed and whined to be free, they would be denied.

Solaria awoke that morning and did as she always did. Laid in bed, staring at the ceiling contemplating on her existence. Sometimes she would stick her head out the window to see the newest hanging or burial. The morning's victims were sixteen-year-old Cassie Alder and eighty-two-year old Eliza Wilde. Found dead in the local church, burned to a crisp by the churches. The church burned as well.

The service was moved to the flower fields as a result, and one Darwin Whicker, the priest, was then accused. The fire's fuel was found at his house and that he didn't have a bible in his own home. A must have for a priest. Too bad he didn't have it, it would have saved his life no doubt. Solaria would have tried to stop it. But so much of her brain was pounding at the wake of every day. Walking was a chore, eating was a chore, even sleeping was a chore.

For the longest time, Solaria thought she could do something. And so she studied. But the murders were so rampant and random that there was no source. No one saw anything, and there was no trail pattern. Even with all the spells in the world. Solaria couldn't predict where they would strike. Not even a time spell seemed to stop the blood from soaking the ground.

Future vision was useless as well, you needed a glass ball for that. And if there was one resource that Farthing Village was lacking, it was glasswork. This was a more of a stone and wood place. And until Stellaria first came to Farthing, iron was unheard off. How they defended themselves from wolves was primitive with stones and sharpened to a fine point.

And so Solaria was stuck in her bed, and only until noon that Solaria rose to nibble at an apple and return to bed. And there she laid until the moon was round and golden, and the mist began to shimmer through the village.

This would be the first Hollow's Eve that would not be celebrated. Not in Farthing Village.

But this would be the night a peculiar being would take refuge in Farthing Wood. A cloaked being that dropped leaves of holly as she tread on the dirt road. No one saw them, no one dared to say hello.

***

Solaria felt a wave of sleep overcome her for the fifth time that night, and the lack of care she had at that point was non existent. She just let her eyes droop and her head to go heavy as sleep began to take her.

Tap tap tap!

The weight of slumber was pieced by the rapping of the door.

Probably someone to hand her another basket through the window. Possibly a special meal of squash and pig.

Tap tap tap!

Could it be the killer? If so, she could take it out now. But the town would never believe it, they never believed in Solaria. It was always Luna who was the praised one.

And yet, Solaria longed to see her sister once again. Perhaps she could handle this. Luna knew what to do.

Or she would if she weren't dead.

Tap tap tap!

Okay, now this was getting annoying. What could possibly be so important that they needed Solaria when they didn't need her when the Tires were murdered in their slumber. Solaria grew irritated as she rolled out of bed, lit a candle with her finger and trudged to the door, her eye twitching with annoyance.

"What do you want?"

"I'm looking for Solaria, daughter of Stellaria of the Village of Farthing..."

Solaria froze, this voice was soothing and feminine. Like mint.

"Solaria is dead, just is her sister and Stellaria..." Solaria growled, hoping to make this person fade into nothing like the mist.

But the voice was insistent, "Please, I have information regarding the murders her in Farthing..."

"Take it to the town sheriff...they are the only ones who can help you..." Solaria hissed.

"But I need a magical being to help me, for the one behind it is no mere human..."

Solaria sighed, "I am no magical creature."

"Your aura says different."

Solara froze, staggering away from the door, "You are a witch?"

"Yes, and so are you, Solaria."

Fear began to trickle down Solaria's spine, but her voice remained fierce as always.

"What do you want with me? I am of no help to you."

"Say who?"

"The townspeople."

"Have they? How rude of them."

"Well..." Solaria let out a small sigh, "They've never said it in words...only in actions. They have forced me to stay here like a caged bird."

"They're only scared they will lose you."

"Caging me up is a cruel way to do it."

"Then why don't you rebel?"

"I...I think they're right...I am too weak to put up any type of fight."

"I disagree, I know who you are...and I know that you are our only hope to stopping this thing..."

Solaria was now confused, "Who are you?"

"My name is Holly of Harbrook Village, and that thing that murdered your mother, murdered mine too. And with your power and mine, we can stop this madness."

***