f i v e

you heard the lunch bell ring. finally. you walked over to the cafeteria and sat down, waiting for finn. you saw him walk in and you smiled. he sat down across from you.
"how was your breakup with lexi?" you asked him.
"oh, yeah. i think she's okay. i tried not to go too harsh on her. i just told her that i didn't want to be with her anymore and i'm pretty sure she expected it. i mean, i would."
you shrugged. "i guess. are you sure you're okay, finn?"
"yeah, i swear."
you smiled at him.

"so, are you trying out for the school play?" he asked you during science class.
"oh, i don't know. maybe. if you want me to, i will." you responded.
"well, i mean, i was thinking we could both audition as the main characters. the script has something to do with a main guy and girl."
"oh, okay. sounds good. when are tryouts?"
"soon."
"what is it even about?"
"some take on romeo and juliet. i mean, this is high school. what do you expect?" he joked.
"yeah, sure. let's do it."
he smiled.

♡♡♡

"hey y/n, are you ready?" finn asked you. today was the day. play tryouts.
"sure am. what about you?" you said, rehearsing your lines one more time.
"yeah, i think i'm just about ready."
"you'll do great, finn. i know it."
"thanks, y/n. you will, too."
      you both walked into the auditorium, glancing at everyone else trying out.
"fuck," you whispered.
"what? what is it?" finn said.
"it's tyler." (lol like tyler the pizza boy but he would nEVER)
"tyler as in your ex?"
you nodded.
"oh." he said.
"why would he be here now? he's never involved in school things unless it's for the football team." finn asked.
"i don't know."
"do you think he maybe wants you back?"
"but how would he know i'm trying out?"
"oh, yeah. well, there's only one way to find out." he started walking over to tyler.
"finn, what the hell are you doing? where are you going? auditions are about to start!"
"don't worry, y/n." he continued to walk up to tyler.
"no! stop it, finn!" you said. but he didn't listen.
       he eventually made it up to tyler.
"hey, tyler! what are you doing here?" finn said confidently. tyler turned around and made eye contact with finn. he walked closer. they were face to face.
"trying to get y/n back. get away from her. i've seen how much time you've been spending with her." tyler said.
"why do you care? i should be the one telling you to get away from her. you're jealous. i know it." finn said. they were only centimeters apart.
"and how would you know that?"
"i..." his voice weakened.
"that's what i thought."
silence passed.
"i'm telling you now. stay away from y/n." finn finally said.
"why are you telling me this? you're not her boyfriend." tyler said.
"yeah, okay. but that's not stopping me. and if i was her boyfriend? why would you care?"
tyler scoffed. "you're not even good enough for her."
"oh, that's it." finn punched him.
"what the fuck did you just do to me?" you heard tyler say, his voice becoming louder.
finn punched him again.
"oh, come here." tyler's face reddened through his bloody nose.
he tried to punch finn back, but he missed.
      you stood at the back of the auditorium, watching everything that was happening, praying that a teacher wouldn't come. all the students' eyes were on the fight, right in the middle of the stage. you were speechless. they continued fighting, and you looked away. the room became quiet, gasps breaking the silence. you looked back towards their direction. tyler had a black eye.
    "finn! tyler! stop! please just stop!" you yelled. they both looked over at you. but they continued.
you felt a lump in your throat. "what the hell have i done?"