t w e l v e

"we're taking a boat." you told him.
"what the hell are you thinking? it's freezing outside!" he said.
"exactly. but it's not snowing." you replied.
"y/n, i swear if we get frostbite by the end of the night, i'm blaming everything on you."
"wow, thanks."
"oh, and you're paying." you told him.
he scoffed. "yeah, that seems fair." he said sarcastically, starting to walk to his car.
you followed him.
"okay, cool." you said.
he rolled his eyes.
you both walked over to his car and went in as he drove to the boat rental place.
"hey. can we rent one boat?" he said, placing his hands on the counter.
"sure. are you driving or do you want someone else to?" the cashier said.
you and finn exchanged looks.
"oh, i'll be driving." he smirked.
you rolled your eyes at him as he handed money to the cashier.
"so you'll have boat number 14." the cashier said, handing finn the keys, as well as two life jackets.
"okay. thanks." he said.
"no problem. have fun."
"we will. have a good day."
the cashier nodded as you both exited the rental place and headed to the deck.
you looked at all the boats perched up and floating on the water. you heard finn counting to himself.
"...11, 12, 13, and 14." he whispered.
"come on, y/n." he said.
"did you bring spare clothes by any chance?" you asked him as he helped you get on the boat.
"no. why?" he answered.
"never mind."
"i have a sweatshirt, though." he said.
"uh, okay. let's just go then."
"okay." he shrugged.
you both put on your life jackets. you sat down on the boat and watched finn detach it from the deck. he closed the boat door and walked to the steering wheel. he started the motor as you let out a sigh.
"you ready?" he asked you.
"yeah. i am."
"okay. wanna go?"
"whenever you're ready."

he started driving and you felt the bumpiness from the water. you started shaking from the cold and he looked over at you.
"are you okay?" he asked.
"yeah, just... just keep driving." you said, turning your head back to face the water.
you stood up to sit down at the edge of the boat. you took off your shoes and let your feet dangle in the water.
"shit, the water's cold." you said. you felt the boat slow down and became confused.
"finn, are you doin-"
you got cut off by finn pushing you into the water, completely startling you.
"oh, my god, finn! what the fuck is your problem? this water's fucking freezing!! and now no one's driving!" you screamed, looking up at him laughing.
"aw. you're so cute when you laugh." you said, now shivering from the water.
"oh, really? thanks. i don't think you're cute when you laugh." he said.
"what?" you said.
he suddenly jumped into the water, and you both started laughing.
"i'm kidding, y/n. of course you're cute when you laugh. you're always cute."
you smiled ear to ear. you shook your head, realizing what he had just done. "get the hell back up there. you're gonna get us both in trouble! and the boat is gonna leave us and we're gonna die in the water!" you panicked.
"holy shit. you're right. this water is so cold." he said, ignoring you.
you began to laugh again, knowing this would only last for a short time. you jumped on top of him, still in the water, as he continuously tried to tip you over.
"it's not gonna work, finnlard." you said, grasping on to him tighter, trying not to lose your balance.
"oh yeah? let go of me."
"i'm not stupid, finn. i know what you're doing."
"no you don't. let go of me."
"why?"
"y/n, just fucking let go!" he said.
"okay, okay. god." you loosened your grip on him slowly and he turned to face you.
"i've been wanting to do this for a while now." he said.
"do what?" you responded.
he started leaning in closer to you.
"this." he said. he got even closer.
"wh-"
he pushed you into the water, making you submerge underneath. you got your head out of the water and looked at him, shaking your head at the same time.
"i fucking hate you, shithead." you told him.
"i can say the exact same for you."
you rolled your eyes.
he got up out of the water and got back onto the boat. he held his hand out. you grabbed his hand and he pulled you up. he immediately walked back over to the steering wheel.
"so, uh, what's next?" he asked you, wrapping a towel around him and drying himself.
"i... i don't know." you said through your chattering teeth. he tossed a towel over to you.
"thanks." you whispered, your lips purple.
"here. take this, too." he handed you his sweatshirt.
"no. i can't. a- are you sure?" you said.
"yeah, i swear. you're freezing. i'll survive."
"thanks, finn."
"of course." he continued driving. you sat on the boat, trying to keep warm; the wind making it difficult to. you took off your life jacket to slip on his sweatshirt over your wet clothes and you immediately became warmer.
after a good few minutes, finn headed back over to the deck. you both got off the boat as he tied it back on. he walked into the rental place and handed the keys to the cashier.
"so, you had fun?" the cashier asked.
"yeah. definitely."
the cashier nodded.
"see you." finn said, exiting the rental place.
"so what now?" he asked you.
"you pick, finn."
"oh, i have something in mind."