n i n e

it was the day you had been dreading. you had to do the mile run for gym at school.
you arrived at school and went to your locker. you heard a familiar voice, it being finn's.
"ready for today?" he asked you.
"yeah, and if you mean ready as in ready to die, then yes." you said, grabbing your books from your locker.
he chuckled. "don't worry. you want me to be there and watch?"
you scoffed. "no, unless you want to see me make a complete fool out of myself." you slammed your locker door shut.
"no, you'll do great. i swear." he said, just as the bell rang.
"thanks, finn. i'll see you later." you swung your bag over your shoulder and pulled him into a hug.

your classes before gym had finished, and it was time to run. you dropped off your bag in the locker room and changed into gym clothes. you went outside to the track as your teacher took attendance. you turned around to see finn sitting on the bleachers.
"what are you doing?" you mouthed.
"is y/n here? y/n?" your gym teacher called your name.
"oh, sorry. yeah, i'm here." you said.
"talk to your boyfriend later. we have stuff to do."
your cheeks reddened. you looked back at finn, who was cracking up. you rolled your eyes at him.
"okay, everyone get into four lines!" your gym teacher yelled, blowing the whistle.
you groaned and got behind a few other people.
"hurry up!" your gym teacher screamed.
"okay. 3...2...1!" the first people in the lines ran.
before you knew it, it was your turn to run.
"go!"
you ran as fast as you could, knowing that finn was watching. you tried to impress him, and it seemed like it was working. you were in front of the rest of the three people who started out next to you.
you finally made it to the finish line, completely out of breath. you sluggishly walked over to the bleachers where finn was and sat down.
"oh, my god." you said. you grabbed the half finished sprite can out of his hand and gulped it down.
"y/n!" he said.
you tossed him the finished can.
he rolled his eyes.
"you did well." he said.
you smiled. "thanks. but why are you here?"
"i couldn't miss out on this. i skipped."
"finn! why would you do that?"
"i did it for you." his eyes stood out in the sunlight.
"thanks." you whispered, looking down at your beat up sneakers.
"that's everyone! everyone has to find out their time!" your gym teacher yelled, blowing the whistle.
"i'll see you later." you said to finn, leaning over to kiss his cheek. he gave you a smile.
"good luck."
"in finding out my time?" you asked him.
"yeah. you need it. you fucking suck." he joked.
you rolled your eyes and chuckled.
you walked off the bleachers. you got to the field and looked up at him.
"you'll do great." he mouthed.
and it turns out, you got in first place.
"not too shabby, y/l/n." your gym teacher told you.
"class dismissed!"
you quickly walked over to finn.
"what'd you get?" he asked you excitedly.
you smiled. "i got first." you told him.
"wow, really? i knew you could do it. there was nothing to be worried about."
you tried to hide a grin. "finn?"
"yeah, y/n?"
"every time i'm dreading something, you make it so much better. no matter what it is."
he smiled.
"i try." he said.
you chuckled, messing up his hair completely.
"um, can you come over later? there's something i've been meaning to tell you." you said.
"yeah. yeah, of course."
"thanks. yeah. i- it's kinda important. i'll, uh, i'll see you later, okay?" you kissed his cheek.
"yeah. see you later." there was worry in his voice.
you started walking in the other direction, but turned around. you opened your mouth to speak.
"i'm... i'm glad you care, finn. it's cause- never mind. i'll just- i'll tell you later."
"oh, are you sure?"
"yeah. don't worry about me." you said.

♡♡♡

it was the end of the day. you got home as quickly as you could to let out as much of your emotions as possible before finn came. you sat down on your bed, closed your eyes, and let the tears fall.