Chapter 5 - Nerves

"Hey, who wants some beer?"

I look up from the box of cookies on the table and there's a guy leaning in the doorway, a long, grungy fringe covering most of his forehead. He's wearing a black T-shirt like Hiccup, but unlike Hiccup, he has a lot more tattoos running down his arms. In one of his hands, he grips the necks of two beers. Instantly I feel goosebumps prickle the back of my neck, though I can't explain why.

"Not for me, man," says Hiccup. "Blake, meet my girlfriend, Astrid. Astrid, this is Blake—he's one of my best friends from back home and the drummer in my band."

Blake barely looks at me—or, if he does, I can't tell because his hair obscures his eyes too much. I do hear a small grunt of acknowledgement from him, I think.

"Hey," I say. My voice squeaks and now I do see Blake's expression change—his lip curls up into a sneer. My heart sinks. I wanted to make a good impression on Hiccup's friends. Now I just feel awkward and a little pathetic. For the first time, I feel out of place.

The other two members of Hiccup's band pile in behind Blake—they are both carrying beers too, but they're much friendlier and smilier than Blake. Hiccup introduces them as they come in: the bassist, Mark, and a keyboard player named Ryan. Mark and Ryan sit on the chair opposite me and Hiccup, but Blake strides in and plonks himself down next to Hiccup so that I get squished between him and the arm of the sofa. He passes one of the beers over to Hiccup.

Hiccup takes it, but, rather than taking a swig, he puts it down on the coffee table.

Blake looks about to push the issue, but Dean claps his hands together and the band looks up at him together. "OK, guys, this is your first big gig together, and you sounded great in rehearsal. Just repeat what you've been doing and you'll smash it. I don't think I have to explain how important this is for Hiccup, for all you guys. This could be a real game changer. No pain, no gain. Now, it's only ten minutes until lights up so, all of you, get out and get ready. This is your time to shine."

"Is he always like this?" I whisper to Hiccup.

"What, always speaking in clichés before we go onstage? Yep, that pretty much sums up Dean." Hiccup looks at his manager. "Can I get a minute alone?"

"One minute," Dean says, narrowing his eyes at the two of us so we know he means business. "All right, everybody out."

"Everyone except Astrid."

Dean nods, but Blake lets out a loud grunt. Every move he makes seems heavy with reluctance, but eventually, he shuffles out of the door after Dean.

Once we're alone Hiccup turns to me, and his body seems like it's overflowing with nervous energy. Then I realize

"Astrid, I don't know if I can go onstage."

---

Short chapter ya'll sorriess