Run in at the Café

PROLOGUE

>>MARCO'S POV<<

I rushed into the dorm room and quickly closed the door behind me. "Oh my gosh! I can't believe I forgot!" I shouted in excitement as I rushed over to my bed. I began flattening the sheets and made sure my bed was nice and neat.

The other bed was perfectly fine since no one slept in it. I then quickly went over to two large garbage bags full of newly washed laundry and decided to iron my clothes. After fifteen minutes of ironing several pairs of jeans, shirts, and other things I hung them up in my closet and collapsed on my newly made bed, nearly out of breath.

"Man I'm stupid!" I chuckled. "I should have had this done hours ago, but I forgot all about it!"

I began to catch my breath again, and sat up. It sure was lonely in this dorm. I was attending a two year art collage and decided to stay in a student dorm, instead of renting an apartment room a ways away from campus. I just started this school a few months ago and already got the hang of things around here and knew my daily schedule fairly well now. Ever since I attended school here, it was just me staying in this dorm, but that will all change soon enough.

I walked over to my antique desk not too far from my bed and pulled out a sketch book and a few pencils. I sat down on my bed and tapped the pencil to my chin as I thought of what to draw. I was brain dead today, and just decided to not draw anything at all. I looked at the clock, and saw I had a few hours to spare. I smiled. "It wouldn't hurt to go out for an hour and get some coffee." I said to myself as I walked by the door.

It was late autumn and it was a bit chilly out. I threw on a black peacoat, a pair of classic red and white tennis shoes, and a black infinity scarf. Oh! And let's not forget my shoulder bag to carry my laptop and art supplies. With that, and my wallet, I left the dorm and walked outside. The cool air hit me like a brick wall. I buried my hands in my coat pocket and held my chin close to my chest to avoid growing cold. I then walked off campus and left to stop at a small café nearby.

After about ten or fifteen minutes, I found myself standing right in front of the café door. I entered the small café and when the door opened, there was a bell, ringing as I walked in. I walked over to the counter and ordered my usual, dark coffee with a chocolate sprinkled doughnut. I then paid the man at the counter and waited patiently for my order. As I waited I noticed a man around my age with his hair having the first few top layers being blond and the bottom layers which were cut shorter, a darker brown.

He was a bit shorter than me, and didn't wear a coat at all, which sent a shiver down my spine. I couldn't believe he wasn't cold. He was wearing a blue flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a checkerboard scarf, black skinny jeans, and black boots that went up to his upper ankles. He had his hands shoved in the front pockets of his pants and he stood beside me. When the man at the counter came around to him, he ordered just a small plain black coffee, that's it, nothing else. I stared at the guy for a minute examining each feature. Just a split second later someone tapped my shoulder.

"Sir, your order is ready..." The man working the counter said as he held my coffee and doughnut in his hand.

A small smile snuck onto my face, my cheeks grew bright red, and my several freckles were even brighter than before. "Thanks." I said as I took it bashfully. I then walked over to a two person table by the front café window and got out my laptop. I was looking for ideas for a school project, and just had no luck coming up with any ideas. I dunked my doughnut in my coffee and took a bite as I searched the internet for some inspiration. I dunked my doughnut again and took another bite.

I caught a glimpse of that guy who just came in, and saw him walk past me and sit down at the table behind me. We were sitting back to back. He sat there just twiddling his thumbs as he stared at his coffee. He looked bored and all alone. I wanted to say 'hi', but for some odd reason I was feeling a bit shy. I let out a sigh and closed my laptop and put it back in my shoulder bag.