Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Scarlett

I was expecting Dad to have us in his study, instead he was keeping it somewhat causal. We were in one if their sitting rooms- that was rarely used. I don't even remember sitting here once in my life time. I think the last time I walked past this room, white sheets covered everything.

But now, I took in the new furniture and the fresh paint- Mum clearly decided to waste some money in here.

"So Dad," I glanced at mum in the other chair. "and Mum, I wanted you to meet Nate." I introduced my now husband. How was I going to bring up we were married?

"Wait a minute before you start we need to wait for Hayden." Mum stopped me.

Wait a fucking second- what did she just say! Then the devil himself walked in. I watched in horror as he kissed my mum on the cheek and shook dad's hand.

"Um excuse me, didn't I make it clear that this was personal?" I said to my parents. How could they think personal, meant I wanted my ex boyfriend here! It was bad enough he was living here in the guest house!

Why he was still around was beyond me!

It was like Dad was hoping keeping him around meant I'd get back to him.

Hayden had a small smirk on his face, as he sat down in a recliner he leant forward and extended a hand to Nate.

"I'm Hayden Carson." He shook Nate's hand. "Family friend and," he glanced at me. "a special friend of Scarlett's."

I scoffed. He wasn't a friend! He certainly wasn't fucking special!

"I'm Nathanial Chambers." Nate placed his other hand on my leg as if to reassure me. "Scarlett's husband."

And Nate's words sent the whole room into silence. Hayden looked confused. Mum lips were slightly parted but Dad's eyes were glued on me, and I could see the rage building in his eyes.

A few more moments passed and no one said anything. Ok I could see this situation getting messy.

"Start explaining Scarlett." Dad kept his temper out of his voice and was trying to sound calm- but I knew what his emotions was really like.

"Nate and I got married." I placed my hand over his, which was on my knee. "Three months ago actually."

I was expecting Dad to just straying heated words at me. Instead he remained silent. I glanced at mum, and I saw her disbelief but it was Hayden that was getting upset.

"You are fucking lying right now, right?" Hayden snapped at me, his eyes narrowed and I could see the fury in them. "You are meant to marry me!"

Seriously? I rolled my eyes. "Last time I checked Hayden I broke up with you over a year ago. And suddenly you became a leech on my family." I explained exactly what Hayden had done. "I told you I was never marrying you and I never was going to be in a relationship with you again."

Hayden scoffed shaking his head and leant forward to see Dad. "Markus are you hearing this? You have been priming me to take over! You wanted me to be your son in law! Not this," his eyes went to Nate. "society leech!"

"Nate didn't even know my family was wealthy or our family connections." I snapped at Hayden. "Unlike you, who had researched every detail about my family before even asking me out! Let's face it Hayden, you wanted to retire on my family's fortune. So who is the leech?"

"Enough!" Mum stopped Hayden and I from bickering. "Scarlett are you sitting here saying you got married without telling your father or myself?"

"Yes." I answered her question and then dropped my hand into my hand bag and then handed Dad our marriage license. "We decided to keep our relationship under wraps. Because of Nate's job but also because I didn't want him to fall victim to your approval."

It was somewhat the truth.

Dad's eyes ran over the wedding license and then he handed it to mum.

"Prenup, do you have one Scarlett, you know very well, that the amount of money that comes with you, puts you at risk." His eyes hardened on Nate. "You know very well men could use you just to get access to your money."

"Yes we have a prenup. If I divorce Nate, I get nothing of his. However if he divorces me, he is entitled to half of everything." I didn't regret my decision to do that. I thought it was only fair that Nate got something out of our marriage. "I don't need a lecture on him going after the family money. You know I only get access to that, when both you and mum die."

"That's not fucking true!" Hayden hissed at me. "Your parents have shares, companies, houses even a fucking hotel chain all in your name! All of that is yours, now. Which means." His eyes went to Nate. "It is now his as well."

Hayden knew more about my finances than me. Cause he wanted the money that came with me.  But I wasn't stupid, I knew what I owned and didn't= and the amount of zeros in my bank account. "Well if anyone is to know, it's you." I glared at him. "Now, you all know. We are leaving."

"Don't you dare move Scarlett Shaw!" Mum snapped at me, putting a hand out.

"Actually it's Chamber's now." I corrected her.

Her eyes narrowed on me. "How am I to explain this to our friends? Our business partners? That they missed the wedding of a century. Because that's what was expected Scarlett. A show. And you've gone and got married out of..." her eyes went to Nate. "shame of who you chose."

And just like that, they pushed me to the edge. "You know what." I stood up. "Hayden was right, I think it's time you remember mother, who is in charge of the money. Dad's just a figure head. I'm the bank." I looked at Nate, whose eyes were on me- "Come on Nate, let's leave."

I had every intention on letting mum stress over who was going to pay for her next cosmetic surgery.

Nate rose to his feet, but instead of taking my hand and escaping from this hell, he extended a hand to my father.

"I'm sorry Mr Shaw, I didn't introduce myself correctly. I'm Nathanial Chamber's, Joy and Nathanial's the third son of Chamber Oils." And Nate's words, changed my Dad's expression completely. "Now I need to get my wife to work." So incredibly smoothly, Nate wiped the expression off Dad's face; Nate clearly wasn't after my money.

I also, saw him shoot a stern look at Hayden, as if to put him in his place as well.

Nate paused in front of Hayden. "Just for the record Mr Carson, if you speak to my wife like that ever again, I won't be responsible for my actions. As you can understand, I have close to impossible job now, to keep men like yourself, who are out of her league, away from her."

Nate's hand was then on my back and he gently pushed me to move. I was honestly frozen to the spot. How the hell had he managed to put my parents back in line and even discredit Hayden? I glanced at him, as we walked down the hall. Here I was thinking, I was the one with the secrets.