Chapter 6

We all snap away from the curtain when we hear someone or something banging on our door. I was only three knocks, but who knows what was out there. We all slowly head to the door. My dad was in the lead, with me right behind him, and mum and Caleb behind me. We are all deathly quiet as we make our way to the door.

We hear some more bangs come from the door and it makes me jump. We make it to the door and thankfully we have a peephole which my dad looks through. He then pushes us back with his arm out of the way of the door and then opens it quickly. In runs Garth, his mum and his little brother Jacob. My dad quickly and silently shuts the door behind them. They look like they have all been through hell.

Garth's shirt is torn on the sleeve, and they all have some bruises and grazes. Garth is carrying a bat that looks like it has some black blood on it. His mum has a knife which doesn't have any blood on it, but Jacob is clutching his mothers arm. All of them are panting.

"Oh no! Are you all okay!" My mum exclaims. They all take deep breaths as they calm their hearts from whatever happened to them.

"Yeah we are fine. None of us are bitten." Garth says as he quickly looks around the room. "Are all the doors locked?"

"No." My dad says, "Should they be?"

"Yes, go lock all the doors. Now." Garth says as he slips off a bag he was carrying and my dad walks away to go and lock the back door. "You're lucky they haven't reached your house yet." He walks into the kitchen and I follow him. My mum and Caleb stay with Garth's mum and Jacob in the lounge and I can hear them whispering quietly.

"What happened to you guys?" I asked him as he puts his bag down on the bench and starts pulling things out of it. Cans of food, water, torches and more.

"My dad was attacked by one of those things out there-"

"Rats." I interrupted.

"What?" He said with a confused and slightly annoyed look.

"It's what I call them. Rats. Rotting attacking things." I see him smile a bit. "But, continue. Sorry."

"Well my dad was attacked by one of the Rats yesterday when he was coming back from work. He said that the thing bit him or something like that. Anyway, this morning everyone was up, but my dad. I went to go check on him while my mum and Jacob were making breakfast. I went into their room and he wasn't in their bed. But before I knew it, I heard something run at me from behind. I managed to turn around in time to see my dad looking like a Rat." He paused and took a deep breath.

"He tried to attack me, but I managed to push him out of the way and ran out of the room. I went to my room and grabbed my bat out of my wardrobe before he came in charging at me. I swung the bat at his head. It was a solid hit as well. He fell over, but tried to get up again before I hit in the head again. And again. And again. Until he stopped moving. Mum and Jacob heard the ruckus and decided to come and see what was happening.

"When mum saw him she burst into tears. She started yelling at me. 'What have you done!' she said and went over to his body. I tried to tell her that she was one of those things, but she wouldn't listen. I told her she needed to stay quiet or she would attract more of them, but she just told me to go away. I took Jacob and we went around the house, making sure that everything was locked and all the curtains were shut." I saw a tear roll down his face.

"She was there with him for a few hours. It was around a ten minutes ago, one of them somehow made it inside the house. I managed to kill it, but Jacob was almost attacked by it. Mum came down and that's when I decided we should come here. This was the first place I thought would be safe since they had found a way into our house. So we came here." That was when more tears started rolling down his face.

I pulled him into a hug. He wrapped his arms tight around me as he let out his tears. Crying onto my shoulder. It was a little bit awkward since he was taller than me, but I wanted him to let out his emotions. He couldn't keep them bottled up. It must be tough to have killed your father be he was a Rat.

"It's okay. You're safe now." I whispered to him as I gently rubbed his back.

He was my best friend and we had to look after each other. It was five minutes until he stopped crying. We just stood there as I comforted him. When he stopped crying, he pulled away from the hug.

"Sorry I made your shirt wet." He said with a weak laugh and a sniff.

"It's alright. It'll dry. How are you feeling?" I ask him.

"Better. Thank you Spence." He said with a sad smile.

"What are friends for?" I gave him a small smile and a shrug.

He turned around and started emptying out his bag again. He started putting everything away in their proper places. I left him in the kitchen by himself and went back into the lounge. Dad was back and mum was comforting Garth's mum. She probably told them what Garth told me. My mum saw me walk in and gave me a sad smile which I returned.

"How is he?" She mouthed to me.

"Better." I mouthed back and she gave me a small nod.

They would be staying in the lounge while they were here. We had two spare mattresses which we set up and someone would have to sleep on the couch. I offered Garth's mum if she wanted to stay in my room, but she said she wants to stay with her kids.

That family has already gone through a lot. And it's only the beginning.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

A/N: Yaay! Chapter six!!! Wooo!! Poor Garth, having to kill his dad right at the start of it all. Do you think Garth did the right thing by killing his dad? Or should he have tried to trap him somewhere? What do you think Lizzie, Spencer's sister, is going through right now? Do you think that Spencer and Garth's relationship will grow?

So I have officially finished high school, all I have now are exams, so I will probably be able to write me and possibly keep up with two chapters a week. Hopefully.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please please vote! It means a lot to me. Thanks for reading!!!

-FlatMatesForLife