Chapter 25

She released a hold on one of my arms and quickly grabbed her gun, pulling it out and resting the barrel against the side of my head.

"Run off, and I'll shoot you." She slowly got up off me, making sure the gun was still aimed at me. "Let's go down to your friends, shall we?"

I stand up and brush myself off before stepping over the guy, I don't bother taking out the knife from his leg. Natalie would probably shoot me, thinking I would attack her or something. Which I would. But she will kill me and if I die, Lizzie would kill me. She keeps the gun on my back as we make our way down to where the others are. We walk out of the building and Natalie calls for one of them to go and help the man who I threw the knife at. She leads me over to Lizzie and Garth and I see both of them looking back at me with sad and scared faces. I look at Garth, both confused and angry at why he was in the building next to ours and why he hadn't replied through the walkie-talkie for three days. Natalie does a quick body search over me and takes my remaining knife before she makes me kneel beside Lizzie.

"We have to wait for Jeremy to get back with the trailer. We weren't sure if we were going to find you lot today. But lucky for us, we have." Natalie said while she fiddled with my knife.

A few minutes later, the two men came out of the building, one with a piece of cloth wrapped around his leg, limping, while the other supported him.

"You're lucky you didn't kill any of my friends. Otherwise I would've killed one of you right here. But that can be saved for later." Natalie says giving us a wink.

It was an antagonising wait, waiting for Jeremy to come back with the trailer. We finally heard the familiar roar of a car engine steadily getting louder, as well as the clattering of the trailer. A different car came around the corner, it was a bluey-green colour and had a trailer behind it. The trailer had a wire mesh fence on all sides and on top. I'm guessing so that nothing can get out. It's basically a cage on a trailer.

Natalie and the others who are able to, force Lizzie, Garth, and I to our feet and we stand there waiting for Jeremy to park the car. He doesn't turn off the car as he opens the driver door.

"You lot better hurry. The horde is coming this way and they're very close." He jumped back in the drivers seat and shut the door.

"Come on then." Natalie said as she hauled us over to the trailer.

Just as she had locked all three of us in, we heard the familiar screech of a Rat.

"Shoot." Natalie whispered. "Get in the car! I'll get Bryce!"

The three others got in the car as Natalie rushed off to help a struggling Bryce. She hooked one arm around his back while he put his arm over her shoulder and they both went as fast as they could back to the car. Successfully making it to the car, they quickly hopped in. We couldn't see where the Rats were coming from because the car was blocking our view. The second that Bryce and Natalie were in the car, Jeremy started driving. He did a quick U-turn and we were able to see the horde of Rats running at us. Their pale blue skin, white eyes, and dark red spots where dried blood had been, as well as black blood, came running towards us. Snarling and snapping. A massive horde of them.

As the car sped up, the Rats got further and further away. We turned a corner quickly, and Lizzie, Garth and I all went tumbling to one side. Jeremy slowed the car down and after turning another corner and we didn't go tumbling, we decided to move back to other spots. Lizzie and I sitting next to each other on one side and Garth on the other. I stared angrily at Garth, waiting for him to explain himself, but he just avoided my gaze.