Chapter 18

I woke up to something shuffling around. I kept my eyes shut and kept still. My eyelids were heavy as I slowly opened them. The room was dark. There was no moonlight coming in through the windows. I saw a figure slowly coming towards me. I quickly shut my eyes again, pretending I was asleep.

I felt a hand rest on my shoulder and gently shake me. I pretend as if I was waking up.

"It's one." A voice I recognised as Garth's said.

I groan quietly as I sit up from my make-shift bed of suits. I rub the sleep from my eyes and stand up. I quietly step over objects as I make my way over to the window. I heard Garth settle down somewhere before it goes silent again.

I sat, watching for any signs of movement outside, but it's too dark for me to see much. I get bored after the first half-an-hour. I try to think of a game I could play to pass the time, but there was literally nothing to do. I had been sitting in the same position for too long and I could feel my eyelids starting to droop. I tried to fight them to stay open, but they slowly slid shut.

I figured I can just rest my eyes, but not fall asleep. But I ended up falling asleep. I was just so tired. I was as if I had just fallen asleep when a crash coming from the clothes shop beneath us woke me up. I quickly checked my watch and it said it was quarter-past-two in the morning. I had only slept for under an hour.

Neither Lizzie or Garth had woken up from the noise downstairs. I didn't want to wake them if it was only a Rat, so I slowly walked over to the door. Trying to make as little noise as possible. The closer I got to the door, the more I could hear what was happening downstairs. I could hear something rustling around. I could hear voices. They were muffled, but they were people talking quietly to each other. I couldn't make out anything they were saying.

I gently make sure that the door is locked before making my way back over to Garth and Lizzie. I wake Lizzie up first, gently shaking her. She groaned quietly as she woke up.

"Is it- ", I quickly put my hand over her mouth to silence her. The moon had come out from behind the clouds, so I could see the look of confusion on her face. I put a finger up to my mouth, signalling her to stay quiet. I then pointed to the ground. Hopefully she understood that I was telling her that something is below us.

I then move over to Garth and gently wake him. He didn't make any noise as he woke up. When he opened his eyes, I did the same thing as I did with Lizzie and he understood. I signal for them both to come over by the door, so we can listen in on what's happening below us.

We all put an ear to the door. The voices are a bit clearer now, and I can only just make out what they are saying.

"Are you sure you saw people come in here? This place looks like hasn't been touched since it all started." A male voice said.

"Yes, I am sure. Are you trying to call me a liar?" A woman's voice said.

"No! Of course not!" Said the man.

"Or maybe you're trying to call me delusional." The woman's voice was slowly getting louder and more annoyed.

"Babe-" The man tried to say but he was cut off.

"Don't babe me!" The woman said harshly.

"Fine. I'll go have a look around for these so-called people you saw come in here." Anger laced into the man's voice. We heard footsteps getting louder as they stomped up the stairs. If they weren't careful they were going to attract some Rats.

I suddenly felt panic set in. What if the man tried to force his way into the floor we were staying. I quickly checked the lock again before the man got there. We all moved so we weren't standing in front of the door, holding our breaths. We couldn't trust anyone knew, and the woman had seen us coming in. His footsteps coming closer and closer until they were right outside the door.

I saw the door handle start to turn slowly. I was doubting myself again that I hadn't locked the door. But thankfully the handle clicked as it made it was stopped by the lock. I let out a small breath, making sure that it was silent. The man tried the door handle again before moving away from the door.

We all stood there. Patiently waiting until we heard the man walk up to the next floor being starting to move around.

"What are we going to do?" Lizzie said in a panicked whisper. "We have no idea what they are like. What if they followed us to steal our stuff, or... or... kill us?"

"Calm down Lizzie." I whispered, trying to calm her down. "We just need to get out of here before they find us."

"We need to pack our stuff now. And quietly." Garth says in a low, commanding tone.

We all silently sneak over to our bags, quietly packing the little supplies we had out. We take the suits that made our beds and messed them up, so it didn't look like people had been staying here.

It didn't take us very long to pack everything up, but that was when we heard footsteps again. We all quietly head back over to the door, waiting. The footsteps were coming from upstairs and were heading downstairs. The man must have figured out that the rest of the floors were apartments and they all had locks.

The man walks past the door we were hiding behind and back down to the first floor. Garth signalled to us that we needed to leave. We had no idea how we were going to leave. And it was still dark so there could be Rats anywhere. 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

A/N: WHOOP WHOOP ANOTHER CHAPTER DONE AND DUSTED! WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GONNA HAPPEN TO THEM? I'M REALLY HOPING THAT MY STORY ISN'T PREDICTABLE, BUT IT MOST LIKELY IS... BUT THERE AIN'T NOTHING I'M GONNA DO ABOUT IT!

ALSO I JUST GOT MY WISDOM TEETH TAKEN OUT YESTERDAY, SO PLEASE EXCUSE THAT THIS CHAPTER MAY BE UP LATE (I PREWROTE THE AUTHORS NOTE SO IDK IF IT WILL GO UP ON TIME OR NOT)

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapteroni, remember to vote and comment and stuff!!!

-FlatMatesForLife