xi. the cold awakening

THE COLD AWAKENING
CHAPTER ELEVEN

The lights flickered menacingly, lighting up the room when the lightning in the sky outside was at bay

The lights flickered menacingly, lighting up the room when the lightning in the sky outside was at bay. The lamps swayed as the weak light bulbs fluttered, causing clunking sounds that left everyone unsteady and on their toes. Electricity sparked from every socket and wire in the room, sending all the young adults ducking in fear at every crackling sound of static. The six young adults stared around themselves anxiously, wary of what may appear.

It was only when they heard a heart-stopping shriek from behind them that they all gasped and spun around. The violent sound wooshed past them, making their hair flailing in the air and goosebumps race to the surface of their skin. When their eyes met with the source of the sound, they couldn't suppress the mortified screams that escaped their lips.

Gasping, Olivia stumbled back until she was several feet behind her friends. The pounding of her heart and her shaking legs barely kept her upright. She was desperate to fall back, curl up against the wall where she was far away from the horrific creature standing before them. Her eyes were slow and shaky, starting from the floor and trailing upward to take in the sight of the creature. It was levitating in the air, its bottom like a long fishtail with scales made of different tones of blue, and its torso was wrapped in seaweed. Its arms were skinny– skinnier than anything Olivia had ever seen, yet despite how small and pale the Angelica's body looked, it still stood taller and stronger than all of them combined.

"I think of you amongst the stars, and count the days until we land, when I can send for you!" Nancy was quick to begin, loud as she read the letter in her trembling hands.

"This ship is lonely, but my dreams of the life we shall build together keep me company."

"It is love that keeps me warm. I feel it in my heart-" Before Ace could finish, a blood-curdling scream erupted from the Aglaeca. She lurched forward as the shriek left her mouth, its impact blasting Ace across the room.

"Ace!" Olivia cried out as Ace hurtled backward in the air, crashing against the wall with a thud after slamming into chairs and tables.

"I-If there were such a thing as magic..." George's voice hitched and her lip quivered as the Aglaeca inched closer to her. "... That the ocean between us were nothing..." A loud cry left George's mouth when the heavy punch of the Aglaeca's screech slammed into her chest and sent her plummeting back into the wall.

"No!" Nancy sobbed, stepping forward. Before she could attempt to do anything, the Aglarca shrieked once again, this time louder, more powerful and it echoed through the restaurant as it blasted Nancy, Bess, and Nick against the hard wooden walls and tables.

"No, guys!" Olivia whimpered in horror, her eyes darting from all her friends as she tried to figure out what to do. The Aglaeca responded with another scream, but Olivia hadn't realized its effect before she heard everyone else's grunts. Sprawled out on the floor, they all clutched their ears and wailed in immense pain. The monster began to inch closer to Nancy who shook helplessly on the ground, her eyes barely open and skin paler than ever.