xvii. the possessed blade

THE POSSESSED BLADE
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Nothing more than heavy breaths and anxious pants could be heard in the cavern as Olivia charged toward her terrified friends

Nothing more than heavy breaths and anxious pants could be heard in the cavern as Olivia charged toward her terrified friends. Under the dim lighting, the blade of the large knife glimmered in her hand as she threatened them all with it. With every step Olivia took forward, they backed away slowly, worried they would trigger an angry lurch.

"Olivia, please. Put it down," Ace waved his hands pleadingly in front of him. He was the only one who hadn't stepped backward severely– he couldn't. Not when Olivia was trapped in her own head like this.

"Be careful," Nancy whispered from a few feet behind him. She was tempted to step closer, to try to help, but she knew if anyone could handle this, it was Ace. She didn't want to interfere or make it worse.

"It's okay." He glanced back to give the others a reassuring glance. Taking in a shaky breath, he twisted his head back around to Olivia. He wasn't expecting her arm to be raised as she staggered forward in an angry rush.

"Watch out!" Bess cried, urging her best friend to back away. Her heart almost stopped, seeing how close the knife had gotten to his chest. Ace had dodged her swing successfully, but not without tripping over his feet and sliding back onto the ground.

He moaned as his tailbone slammed against the hard floor, leaving him in shattering pain. Wincing, he forced himself to ignore it upon seeing Olivia move toward him. With his hands beneath him, he shuffled backward, dragging himself against the dust-clad floor and away from Olivia who stared at him with nothing but a dead cold glare in her eyes.

"Olivia, stop! You're going to hurt him!" Nancy called, jumping forward and courageously forcing her hand onto Olivia's shoulder and pulling her back. Before Olivia had the chance to spin around and attack her, Nancy sped backward, avoiding the knife as she swung it forward.

She turned back around to Ace who was the closest to her, sitting on the floor helplessly. His eyes were wide and timid, begging for her to snap out of it, to wake up. And although what remained of Olivia's mind inside her body was trying with all her might to stop, she continued to inch closer to Ace, her knuckles turning white with how tightly they were wrapped around the neck of the blade.

"Livvie... Liv, it's me," he pleaded. "This isn't you– I know it's not. I need-" his voice hitched in his throat when she swung the knife forward again, but he shuffled backward in time to avoid it. "I need you to wake up." She swung again, a low growl escaping her lips as she continued to follow him. His stomach tightened when he felt his back slam against the wall, and there was nowhere else for him to go. "Liv, please." Ace tried to search in her eyes for any sign of her, any part of her that he might be able to connect to. He tried to reach her soul through her eyes, but it wasn't there. What if he'd never get her back?

"No!" Bess cried when Olivia jumped forward, faster and with more momentum this time. The dagger in her hand aimed directly for Ace's head as it lunged forward, prepared to penetrate him.