Diagon Alley

In this chapter: Harry is introduced to the wizarding world for the first time, and meets the first wizard his age. Their meeting doesn't go very well, as Harry realizes there are 'Dudleys' even in this world.  

"There's got to be a way out of this." Ron said again.

"When Umbridge said she was assigning reading & discussion groups did you think it would work out well for you?" Hermione asked. "That being said, this doesn't have to be the end of the world."

"That's easy for you to say, you're not with bloody Malfoy." Ron grumbled staring at his list. "And who are these other people?"

"Well Michael Corner, you remember him. He's in the-" she looked around her. They were meeting the others in the courtyard, so they were in the hallway on their way there. "DA."

"He's the bloke dating my sister in't he?" Ron flared up. "You mean I've got to read with him too?"

Hermione sighed and turned to Harry. "You're being quiet."

"Well, you know why she did this right?" Harry asked.

"I know." Hermione sighed. "But try to make the best of this situation, it's just chapters five, six, and seven."

Harry didn't think there was a best of this situation, he spotted Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy and Blaise near the entrance. "Oh hello, Potter, glad you've finally decided to show up. I could be wrong but I believe we planned to meet here at three?"

"We're five minutes off, you'll live." Harry sighed deeply. "Let's just get this over with."

Hermione glanced at Pansy, who looked just as sour faced to be paired with her. But Hermione smiled at Dean, who was also in her group. She walked towards him and Pansy let out a huge groan and walked away as well.

"Hi guys," Hannah Abbott, Michael Corner, and a girl he had honestly never spoken to before approached their group. Hannah was the one to speak to him.

"Alright, where do you want to do this?" Michael asked. Ron glared at him, so he looked at the others.

"The study hall?" Hannah asked.

"There'll be about twenty groups in there, we're not going to hear anything." Blaise pointed out.

"Then maybe one of our common rooms." Michael suggested.

"That's not technically allowed." Lisa said.

"And anyway, I have no interest in going to any of your common rooms and you're not going into mine." Malfoy said.

"Alright then, what do you suggest?" Ron turned on him.

"I suggest we walk in the same direction, go our separate ways and then tell everyone we've done what we were supposed to do." Malfoy said.

Harry raised an eyebrow. It was likely the one time Malfoy said something he could get behind.

"I don't think that's a good idea." said the girl he'd never seen before. "If Professor Umbridge finds out we'll be in a lot of trouble, and I don't want to get on her bad side because of your rivalries."

"Who the hell are you?" Malfoy asked, arms crossed.

She took a step back. "Er... I'm Lisa." she looked around to blank looks. "Lisa Turpin. I've shared classes with all of you."

"I know who you are." Michael said. She ignored him and turned to Harry.

"We have History of Magic together." she said.

"Er... right!" Harry said. Ron let out a snort.

"Anyway," Malfoy said turning to Harry. "Do we have a deal?"