34 - Intoxicated

There were three messages waiting for me. I sat on my living room couch and finally read them.

this is so unexpected and i'll explain more later. Sorry again. you have the right to feel annoyed

But i hope you're not too annoyed. maybe I can head over there later. Okay?

June?

The last message was sent to me roughly an hour ago. I sighed and then typed a response. Hey sorry. Yeah you can come whenever you can. hope things are okay! I added a thumbs-up emoji and pressed Send.

In the meantime, I decided to head up to my room and play the album I bought. Minutes later, I put the CD into my radio and let it begin. The first song was titled Faint Colors. I laid on my bed and opened up the lyric booklet. There was another picture of the band on the second page; this time, they were standing against a pale-blue wall.

As the song played, I was surprised by how energizing it sounded. I followed along with every word, and there was a line that stood out to me.

Yeah, you, you, you – forever a medley of raging yet faint colors. I never knew things could taste so vivid. Come on, it can just be us two. Paint me yellow, paint me red, but please don't leave me blue. Yeah, you, you, you – don't leave me blue.

The next song was titled Wild and Brave. Some of my favorite lyrics included: Well, honey, nobody ever taught you that you're the bird – no, you're not supposed to be the cage. Remember it's you that you gotta save. So fly – be wild and be brave. Don't stop, don't stop, because I know what you crave. Yeah, time to turn the page. It's you that I wanna save.

As the album played on, I began to feel drowsy. Yawning, I set the lyric booklet down and closed my eyes. The fifth song was on now. The last thing I heard before drifting off to sleep was Some things don't happen unless you make it happen. So let's go, let's fall, let's learn to love again. Today is ours and yesterday is gone. So let's go, let's fall, let's move on. Some things don't begin until you make it begin. So here we go – we'll fall, you and me, we'll fall in love again.

***

A loud knocking pounded against my ears; I jerked awake. "June!" My grandfather's voice made me groan. Although it was muffled, I could still feel the irritation laced in his words. "For God's sake, wake up," he grumbled, "Someone's here for you."

I opened my eyes, dumbfounded. What? "I'm awake," I croaked out, rubbing my eyes. I felt so groggy – what time was it? I sat up and squinted at my clock. 6:28 P.M. My eyes widening, I went over to my window. It was getting dark, but I recognized the beige Corolla immediately. Oh my God – my heartbeat rocketed – he's here.

"June, hurry up," my grandfather barked out, "I don't even know why anyone would be here at a time like this!" With no time to fix my appearance, I hurried over to the door and opened it. My eyes met the scowl on my grandfather's face. "Next time," he glared, "you might want to tell me if your boyfriend's coming." Heat flooded my skin. "That way, I can leave the house before he gets here."

"He's not my boyfriend," I hissed, frustration simmering in the pit of my stomach. I didn't have time or the patience for this. My grandfather being difficult was possibly the last thing I wanted to deal with right now.

"Whatever," he replied coldly, "I'm leaving, anyways. Who knows what teenagers do these days . . ."

I scoffed. "We're not going to do anything," I protested, but in a way, I wouldn't mind very much if he left. "But where are you going?"