Chapter 1

Hi guys. Thanks for checking out my book. I hope you like it. I try to update twice a week so a new chapter will be out soon.

Please don't copy my writing. This work is my own so don't use my characters or plot.

I do accept criticism but please try to make it nice. I know that somethings will come out mean and I understand but please don't just say something like 'your work sucks.' Because that stuff really does hurt.

Thanks again for giving this book a chance. Happy reading!

Kathrines pov:
"Kathrine!" I hear my lady yell. Yes you heard me right I said lady. My name is Katherine. I'm eighteen. I have straight blond hair and light blue eyes. I'm about 5'5, which I consider a good height, and I have a nice tan from working out in the sun.

Oh, I'm also a slave. When I was younger my parents died and I had no other family so I was sold off as a slave. My life is not the worst.

I get beat if I do something wrong, but I've learned how to avoid mischief and always please my masters. I live in the kingdom of Ignis.

It's a nice enough place. It has lots of forests around us, but if you continue into no mans land that's when it gets crazy.

No mans land has everything from volcanoes to frozen mountains. They are all spread out but those are the homes of dragons.

Yes you heard me right, dragons. They are said to be awful creatures that burn whole villages to the ground.

At least that's what everyone says. I think differently, I think that they are misunderstood creatures, but I wouldn't know because this is the first year that I will be allowed to attended the feast.

The feast is a giant festival that lasts about a week. On the first day of the festival any man who is daring enough signs up for the hunt.

The hunt is where all the men join together and form teams. Those teams will them go out and hunt down a dragon. It's very dangerous and many die or get seriously injured. Yet they still do it.

Then at the end of the week they will kill it. I think it's a cruel thing because throughout the whole week the dragon is just on a stage in chains. Where it can be whipped at any time

I've never seen the feast because it only happens every 10 years. My masters didn't allow me to see it when I was eight. But now that I'm eighteen and they are allowing me to go.

I'm exited, but a little nervous. I'm scared for the dragon and what might happen. I know that the poor thing is going to be killed but in past feasts the dragon will attack people.

I don't blame it. I would probably start attacking people if I was a giant fire breathing dragon and was chained up.

"Katherine!" My lady yells again binging me out of my thoughts. "Coming ma'am!" I yell back. I quickly rush to her room not wanting to upset her.

Once I reach her door I knock and wait. "Come in" she says. I open the door and keep my head down as I walk in. "You called ma'am?" I say waiting for an order.

"Yes. As you know tomorrow is the start of the feast. Since I'm a kind person I will let you have the whole week off. You can still stay here and eat here but you will have no chores." She says.

My head shoots up and a grin forms on my face. "Thank you so much ma'am! Your so very kind!" I exclaim joyfully.

She smiles at me and pulls something out of her nightstand. "That's not all." She hands me the pouch and says "Here are some coins to buy whatever you want!"

I look at the small bag in awe. I quickly recover and say,  "Thank you so much! This is the best gift ever and I will use it very wisely." She smiles at me and dismisses me saying she won't need anything for the rest of the night.

I head to my room a smile on my face and a bag of money in my hand. By the weight of it I know it's a lot. Wow my mistress is so kind. Something good must have happened that made her do this.

Whatever that thing I'm very thankful for it. I never get money. Since I'm a slave I'm not paid. I only get fed and clothed. I'm lucky though. My master and mistress are kind and treat me better than most.

With the money in my hand I head back to my room. I live in the slaves quarters It's just a hallway with some rooms. Mine is farther away from the other rooms and kitchen so that no one accidentally comes back here.

I walk down the hallway and go to my room. I open the door to my cozy home. Some may say it's small but I think it's a good size for one. I have a bed a dresser with a few clothes in it. I have my own bathroom which I consider lucky.

There are about 5 other slaves that live here and the rest of the staff is hired. I sit down on my bed and put the money underneath my pillow so that no one can take it.

I don't think anyone would but it makes me feel safer. Butterflies just go off in my stomach every time I think about going to the feast.

I stand up and change into a nightdress. I comb out my hair and braid it. Once I've finished everything I lay down with a smile still on my face. Finally I fall asleep.

I wake up to a roar. The dragon must be here. I'm up in a heartbeat. I run to the restroom to clean up. Once I'm done I grab a pair of pants and and my bag of coins.

It's spring right now so I'll be done without a jacket. I run out of my room and into the kitchen. I quickly consume a muffin and apple before I'm off again. I go out the back of the kitchen and I run to the front of the house. I travel down the road and head to town.

I wonder what the dragon looks like. Or who caught it. I'll find out soon enough because the captures will probably be next to their prize.

The word sickness me. The poor thing. Just yesterday it was free now it's going to be starved and slaughtered. I shake the thoughts out of my head.

I hear another roar and I speed up. Finally I get to the town. People are everywhere trying to gets a look at the beast. Since I'm alone and pretty small I'm able to sneak around them.

After some pushing and a couple people yelling at me I'm able to see the giant beast called a dragon.
———————————————————————
I hope you liked it.  Comment on what you thought. I try to post twice a week so a new chapter will be out soon. Thanks for reading.
Vote
Comment
Follow
Share