9

The exterior of the school was gray, and almost void of windows. Connor stared at it doubtfully from next to Haytham.

"I'm sorry you have to come so early." said his father, "I have to come early to prepare for my classes, and we also need to pick up your schedule."

Connor glumly followed Haytham through the front doors of the school. They entered the office where they found a woman with purplish hair sitting at a desk, typing at a computer. Connor noted that the name on her name tag read Melanie LemaySecretary.

"All right, Melanie?" Haytham greeted when they entered.

She looked up from her computer and smiled. "Good morning Haytham. What can I do for you?"

"I'm here to pick up Connor's schedule." Haytham said.

She nodded. "I'll print it out. Just give me a moment."

When Mrs. Lemay left, Haytham leaned over to Connor, "The principal is Mr. Mualim. He and Melanie have been friends for a while now."

"Mr. Mualim?" asked Connor.

"I have his grandson in my class. He's a senior." said Haytham.

Luckily, at that moment, Mrs. Lemay chose to return. She smiled at Connor as she handed him the paper.

Haytham and Mrs. Lemay began to chat with one another while Connor looked at his schedule:

History... Hastings... A-7

Physical Education... d'Alviano... Main Gym

Math... Lee... C-18

Lunch

Science... Vidic... D-13

French... Dorian... F-11

English... Birch... B-3

Haytham peered down at the schedule. "Ah, I see you have Charles for math. He's a good man; a friend of mine. And Reginald Birch is decent too."

Connor asked, "Where's... uh..." he consulted the schedule. "A-7?"

"I can take you." Haytham offered.

History class, on the whole, was fairly decent. The teacher, Mr. Hastings, had an accent similar to Haytham's. They were in their Renaissance unit, and Mr. Hastings would only deviate from his lecture about the Borgia to make a sarcastic comment every now and then, coaxing a semi-reluctant chuckle from a handful of the students.

Physical education, however, was taught by a loud, boisterous man who, when he caught sight of Connor, grabbed his hand and shook it violently, introducing himself as Bartolomeo d'Alviano. The class itself was mixed grades, which was rather intimidating. Connor had very little trouble locating the main gym from Mr. Hastings' room, which he was grateful for.

After gym, when he changed back into his regular clothing, he realized that he had no idea where to find his math classroom. Connor wandered the halls of the school, trying to find it on his own, and ended up getting more lost than before. He ended up finding himself in the library, where some of the older students were spending a free period.

The closest teens to him were at a table a few feet away. One was sitting down, clearly trying to study, where as the other was sitting on the table itself talking to his friend, earning several warning glares and glances from the librarian and the other students, which he ignored.

Biting his lip, Connor approached them and stuttered, "U-uh, excuse me?"

The two looked up at him. The boy who was sitting on the desk looked at Connor with mild distain. The other tore his attention away from the book and watched him curiously.

"I- I was wondering if you could tell me where- uh- Mr. Lee's classroom is."

"Are you new, or something?" said the boy on the table with a slight drawled, earning a mild glare from his companion.

"I can take you. I know where it is; my little brother has that class." he slammed his book shut and tossed it into his messenger bag as he stood. He raised an eyebrow at the other boy. "Are you coming, Altaïr?"

Altaïr sighed. "Nah, I should actually probably finish my philosophy homework."

The other boy frowned at him. "Then why on earth were you sitting there talking to me about swords?"

"I'll see you later, Malik." Altaïr said, smirking as he slid off of the table and began to rummage around in his backpack.

Malik turned towards Connor. "This way."

They exited the library, Malik in the lead and Connor trotting along behind him. Every now and then the former would glance back at him to make sure that he was still following.

"You're Mr. Kenway's kid, aren't you?" Malik said suddenly.

Connor started. "Uh, yeah."

Malik nodded. "You look like him. He mentioned you, in class, the other day."

"Oh." Connor wasn't quite sure how he felt about that.

Neither of them spoke for a little while, until Malik stopped in front a door.

"We're here." he said.

Connor opened his mouth to thank him, but before he could say anything, Malik added, "Good luck. I heard that Mr. Lee can be fairly nasty sometimes."