13

Connor noticed that Haytham was quiet on their way home.

After school, Connor had headed to Haytham's classroom, as he had bade Connor to do the previous evening. When Connor entered, Haytham looked at him with an emotion he couldn't identify. Connor bit his lip nervously.

Silently, Haytham and Connor headed into the parking lot and got into the car. Connor slid into the back and held his backpack on his lap, fidgeting with the straps.

A thought struck Connor. What if Haytham was mad at him for some reason? Connor couldn't think of any reason why he iwould/i be mad at him... accept for what happened in Mr. Lee's class. Perhaps Mr. Lee told Haytham that Connor got in trouble, and that was why Haytham was behaving so strangely; because Connor had disappointed him.

Figuring that it would be best if he stayed out of Haytham's way, Connor stayed mainly at the dining room table for the rest of the evening, attempting to complete his obscene amount of math homework (all of his teachers had been reasonable and understanding in terms of homework, what with Connor coming in in the middle of the year , all accept for Mr. Lee, who gave Connor at least one worksheet for each unit they already completed). Around ten o'clock, Connor figured that he could finish the rest in the morning before class, and went to bed.

By Thursday, Connor was convinced that Mr. Lee was targeting him. It seemed that he could not go a single class period with him without getting in trouble for some small misdemeanour. On Tuesday he was accused of talking in class for asking Aveline what the date was. On Wednesday he finished his worksheet early so he started to read, and Mr. Lee took away his book and gave him two extra worksheets. On Thursday Mr. Lee caught Connor looking at the rain outside of the window and made a big show of asking him what was so interesting to look at outside. For all of these, Connor received lunch detention for all of these.

Connor was also convinced that Mr. Lee was targeting Aveline and Kadar because of him as well. Connor noticed that while he didn't seem to give them detention as much as Connor, Mr. Lee would often snap at them more than the other students. Connor was beginning to think that he might be bad luck.

"I wanted to talk to you about something, Connor." Haytham said Thursday evening at the dinner table.

Connor swallowed and carefully put his fork down. "Yes?" he asked nervously.

"Your behavior in Charles' class." Haytham said, "I've been told that you're getting in trouble almost constantly."

"It's not my fault," Connor snapped, slamming his elbow on the table and pressing his cheek to his palm moodily. "Mr. Lee doesn't like me."

"That's ridiculous." said Haytham with a slight scoff, "Why wouldn't he like you?"

"I don't know!" said Connor, frustrated, "But he seems to single me out for no reason whatsoever! Like on Tuesday when I got in trouble for asking Aveline what the date was when Petruccio Auditore was spending the entire class period passing notes!"

Haytham frowned, pondering this. "That's not what Charles said. He said you were talking almost non stop to Aveline and Kadar."

"I was not!" Connor protested.

"I suppose I'll talk to Charles about it." said Haytham thoughtfully, "I won't have time at lunch tomorrow because of the reports I have to grade, but in the evening… You will need a babysitter though." he added, looking sideways at Connor.

"I'm old enough that I don't need a babysitter." said Connor.

"Still, I would feel better if you had a babysitter." Haytham insisted.

"I could go over to Desmond's house, with Achilles." suggested Connor.

"I'm not so sure that's a good idea," Haytham said tiredly, clearly thinking about the mishap the other day with the roof. "Don't worry; I think I might know of someone."