15

"So." said Haytham at their weekly Saturday brunch.

Connor looked up at Haytham from his menu (not that he needed to look at it anyway; he knew what he wanted to order). "So?" he asked.

"I talked to Charles about you last evening as you very well know." Haytham went on.

"Yeah." said Connor, only half paying attention.

"I told him what you said. About him picking on you in class." he added.

"What did he say?" said Connor.

"I'm not actually sure he was listening to what I had to say." admitted Haytham.

"Oh." Connor said, disappointed, looking back at his menu.

"Yeah." Haytham said, "I told him what you said about him getting you in trouble for no reason, but he denied everything."

"Of course he did." thought Connor cynically.

Haytham, noticing Connor's scowl, sighed and sat back in the booth. Neither of them spoke for a moment or so until Rebecca came to take their orders. It wasn't until Rebecca had left that either of them spoke again.

"Tell me if he gives you any more trouble, will you?" said Haytham.

"Fine." said Connor, knowing that it was a promise unlikely to be kept.

Connor was beginning to believe that he was bad luck. All his life he seemed to be surrounded by it, and he was starting to wonder if he was the cause of it. Even before he came to live with Haytham, even his best friend, Kanen'tó:kon, had remarked that Connor had the worst luck out of anyone he had ever known.

When he was on his way to school, Haytham's car got a flat tire, which threw Connor off for the rest of the day, not to mention that Mr. Lee was even more irrational than usual. Connor suspected that Mr. Lee was angry that he had told Haytham about the unfair treatment he was receiving in class. As a result, he kept not only Connor in for lunch (the ENTIRE time without letting him eat), but he made Aveline and Kadar stay in too, simply because they were associated with Connor. They had not done anything to cause them to be punished; Mr. Lee had merely made up some offence to have an excuse to get them in trouble.

The three of them sat in the room in silence, Mr. Lee not having any tolerance of talking during detention, giving Connor time to ponder his luck.

After the bell rang, Mr. Lee kept them in the classroom until passing time had ended. Aveline immediately burst into the hall, running to her class. Connor and Kadar, however, were headed to the same direction and walked briskly together, allowing Connor to voice his concerns.

"Maybe you shouldn't hang out with me anymore." Connor mumbled, at the end of his speech, "I'm not good for you."

Kadar shook his head in astonishment. "You can't be bad luck." he said, "And besides, I like to hang out with you. And if you don't believe me, ask Aveline and I'm sure she will say the same.

"Besides," Kadar added with a smirk. "I don't believe in bad luck."

Connor thanked Kadar for saying so, but his confidence was only bolstered ever so slightly.