16

The next week marked that Connor had been living with Haytham for about a month. That meant that Connor's social worker was going to come to visit to make sure that all was well.

Haytham was not at all worried; he had passed inspection before (they had sent a couple of representatives before he had taken custody of Connor to make sure that his house was safe and big enough to take care of him) and he was definitely going to pass it again. It wasn't like anything had really changed since now and then.

Haytham had received a call stating that Connor's social worker would be coming on Friday afternoon. When he had answered the call, Connor was working diligently on his homework at the kitchen table. Haytham had told Connor, of course, but judging by Connor's shocked expression when the social worker, Miss Stillman, walked through the door Friday afternoon, after school had let out for the day.

"Why is she here?" Connor asked, clearly surprised.

"I told you that Miss Stillman was coming, Connor," said Haytham, surprised. "Don't you remember?"

"No," said Connor, clearly truthfully.

Miss Stillman laughed. "Please, call me Lucy."

Lucy was young; Haytham guessed that she would be in her mid to late twenties, perhaps around twenty six. She had her hair pulled back into a loose ponytail, the loose blonde strands hanging around her face and shoulders. She had bright blue eyes that stood out against the pale skin of her face. Her clothing consisted of a freshly ironed black pencil skirt and a brown clipboard decorated with pink stickers was hugged to the breast of a silky white blouse.

Haytham couldn't help but think that she was pretty. Conventionally pretty, of course. However, Lucy was nothing compared to Ziio.

"Okay, so this is how this is going to work," said Lucy cheerfully. "I am going to tour the house. If you wouldn't mind, Mr. Kenway?"

"No, of course not," said Haytham quickly. "I'll be glad to show you around."

"Fantastic," said Lucy, scribbling something down furiously on her clipboard. "After the tour, I will interview each of you by yourselves."

"Brilliant," said Haytham, clapping his hands together. "I'll show you around then, shall I?"

"I'll work more on my homework," mumbled Connor, turning back to his books.

"Would you like to begin upstairs or downstairs?" Haytham asked smoothly.

"Upstairs will do," said Lucy, still sounding happy. "I would love to see Connor's room."

Haytham lead Lucy upstairs. He gave her the same basic spiel he gave Connor his first day on the house when he was giving him a tour. However, the only difference was that unlike Connor, Lucy seemed to be almost constantly taking notes on her clipboard and she seemed to be much more willing to ask follow up questions whenever Haytham mentioned something.

"How did you and Connor's mother meet?"

"How often do your father or your sister visit from London?"

"How long have you lived in this house?"

Haytham tried to answer honestly each time; anything to continue to be allowed to take care of Connor.