30

It was clear to anyone who looked at Haytham that he was stressed. On Tuesday he tried to go back to what he originally had scheduled for his classes, but even he seemed to be barely paying attention to what he was saying. He was also more likely to snap at his students when they were not listening or they were on their phones. In fact, the school was buzzing much of Tuesday with how Mr. Kenway had yelled at Ezio Auditore for who knows what (everyone had a different theory as to what he did to invoke the English teacher's wrath. Ezio, meanwhile, seemed to be enjoying the attention).

The only student present that Haytham really seemed to have patience for was Altaïr, but in truth most of the teachers seemed to have more patience for him since the accident, despite the grumblings from many of the other students (namely Abbas Sofian). Nevertheless, any alleged tolerance that Haytham may or may not have had for one, singular student, that did not seem to prevent him from angrily giving the entire class extra homework.

On Monday he had put off any detentions he would have originally had that day because of the fact that Haytham wanted to get back home as soon as possible, in case that anyone called with information about where Connor was. However, Haytham sternly reminded himself that he has responsibilities other than to his runaway son, and informed the students that detention would continue as scheduled that day.

Still, though, an hour after classes had ended for the day, Haytham found himself in an even worse mood facing Ezio and a select five others in the silent classroom. He couldn't wait for detention to be over so that he could get home and wait for someone to call, telling him that they found Connor, and that he was safe

The hour dragged on and on. Haytham set about preparing for class on Wednesday, pausing every now and then to scowl or sternly watch the students to make sure that they were actually studying. He was so eager to be rid of the students that he released them five minutes early.

None of the students were grateful, of course.

Haytham moodily packed away his things and brushed out to his car as quickly as possible. He drove home briskly, while maintaining the speed limit, of course. As soon as he headed inside, he checked to see if there were any messages left on his phone. Of course, there were none.

He sat on the couch and tried to read a book, though Haytham just ended up reading the same sentence over and over and over again until the phone rang, interrupting the deafening silence. Haytham jumped to his feet and sprinted to the phone, scrambling to pick up the receiver when he recognized the phone number.

"Hello?" he gasped. "Did you find him?"

"No," said a police officer. "However, Mr. Kenway, we would like to inform you that he has been spotted."

"Where? By whom?"

"Your son has stopped to speak to one of his friends from his previous home and school," the police officer said. "The child in question reported it to his parents, so we know his general area. We have already reported this information to his social worker."

The police officer paused, allowing Haytham to absorb his words.

"Please try to stay calm, Mr. Kenway," said the police officer. "And please; I implore you not to do anything ridiculous. We can handle things; don't you worry."

Haytham stood alone in the kitchen, clutching the phone long after the call disconnected. They knew where he was. He was okay. Haytham couldn't quite believe it, even as he dialed the numbers of the people who had requested that he keep them in the loop of what was happening with Connor's situation.