Midnight Shifts

Rose's POV

~*~

I walked around with the black skirt and a black hoodie and black flats. My hood was up and a backpack was on my back as I walked through the crowds, weaving through.

I just got back from some job conferences for what I said the chapter before, and I got one for singing, dancing, or whatever in a normal carnival, one of the best in the world, that goes year round and stays in one spot unless conditions otherwise. I also got a job at a coffee shop and at an arts and crafts store that also gained me access to a weapon shop and Halloween store neighboring it. I got some jobs there too. I had to go and rehearse for the circus. They gave me so many parts in so many different things! But it is fun. After all, it is a circus! I had to go in in a month, the day I go back to school. I groaned at the thought and had to send an e-mail to tell them I would be leaving for the last three hours and be gone for the homeroom and first hour and be late at second hour. Yeah, I had to rehearse two times a day, super early in the morning, around 3 AM and went until 8 or 9 AM, and at the afternoon, 11:45 and until after school, ending at 3. Right when school ends.

I sighed and slid through a kissing couple in the middle of the street that made people mad and cut them off. I smirked as they shouted after me in protest and some people chuckled around me.

"Nice. They do that everyday, right in the same spot." said a business man. He had a buzz cut with his gold hair and had some wrinkles around his eyes and lips from smiling so much. His black suit was slick and neat and he was taller than me. I'll call him Smiley.

"That must be really annoying." I said quietly, but so he was able to hear. He grinned at me. See?! Smiley!

"My name is Reese Anderson, CEO of the New York Carnival."

"Sweet! I just got a job there!"

"Seriously? I was looking for a...Rose Gold. She dropped her wallet."

"That's me!" I smiled and he gave me my wallet, everything inside. "Thanks!"

"No problem! But...I can't help but notice you are slipping in the crowd like butter on a hot skillet. How do you do that without looking?" he curiously asked.

"Habit. I lived in cities my whole life."

"Hey, how about we grab some coffee and talk." he suggested.

"Sure, I got nothing better to do." I smiled. He held out his arm like a gentleman, but joking. I smirked and took it and we walked down the sidewalk, people waving at us and asking for his autograph. We made it to the cute coffee shack...my other little job.

"Imagine that, my other job." I smiled and he laughed.

"How many do you have?" he asked as we were seated in a booth.

"Hm...I am getting a ton to do in the circus, so that might be a full time thing." I tapped my index finger onto my chin in thought. "A craft store that gives me access to the Halloween store and weapon stores next door with the coffee shop, here, and...I think that is all..."

"Wow, kid, you sure are busy." he chuckle.

"Can I help you?" a waitress appeared and was older, nice and caring. She had grey short hair and wrinkles from laughing, frowning, and crying. Why? Judging by her make-up and how she stands and is tapping her pen on the notepad, smoothing out the white apron on the red dress and shuffling her white shoed feet, her husband passed. She didn't want to wear too much make-up to stain her face and mess it up by crying. She is nervous because she knows this man and wants to make a good impression. She is patient, but wants to get it done fast an leave because she is worried of embarrassing herself with her clumsiness.