t w e n t y - f o u r

Naomi and Sam sat anxiously at the restaurant waiting for Tom and Elle to arrive.  "Are you sure about this?" Sam asked.  "Positive."  "Look, if you want to-" Sam started but was cut off by Naomi, "They're here. Do it."  Sam sighed and pretended to laugh, Naomi joining.  Tom and Elle approached the table.  "Hey," Tom said, confusion in his voice.  Naomi stopped laughing and looked up at Tom, "Oh, hey."  The two sat down.  "So, you must be Elle." Naomi faked smiled.  "That's me. You must be Naomi. Tom's told me a lot about you."  "Really? That's funny, Tom hasn't really told me much about you."  Elle awkwardly laughed and Sam just sat there sipping his drink he had ordered earlier.

Tom gave Naomi a weird look.  She just ignored it, "So how long have you and Tom been friends?"  "Since we were born basically. When we were two Tom would tell people I was a girlfriend.  People thought it was adorable.  After a while, though that crush went away, thank God." Elle laughed.  "Well, I guess Tom has a thing for blondes."  Tom tensed and so did Elle.  Sam nearly choked on his drink.  "What was that supposed to mean?" Tom said to Naomi.  She was about to say something but was interrupted by the waiter coming to there table, "Are you guys ready to order?"  "Yes, we are," Sam quickly answered.

🔸

The four had pretty much finished their food in silence.  After the waiter had taken their plates.  Naomi looked over at Sam, giving him a knowing a look.  Sam gave her a are you sure? look.  She gave a quick nod.  Sam slowly put his arm around Naomi.  She smiled at the freckled boy.  She could sense Tom getting uncomfortable.  "I gotta uh go to the bathroom," Sam said, taking his arm off her.  As he got up from the table, he grabbed Elle's arm dragging her with him, "You should go too."  "I don't have to," she groaned.  "Trust me you do."

After the two left, Tom glared at Naomi, "What is going on?"  "What you mean?"  "You've been acting weird this entire time. And why did you bring Sam?"  "I haven't been acting weird.  And Sam is here to make it less romantic."  "See that's what I'm talking about.  You keep saying these things like they're supposed to mean something."  "I don't know what you're talking about."  "Look if you're trying to make me jealous it's not working."  "I didn't say that's what I was doing."  "You didn't have to. The whole fake laughing when me and Elle walked in, him putting his arm around you I'm not stupid."  Naomi shifted uncomfortably in her seat.  "Why are you doing this? What are you trying to prove?" Tom said, raising his voice slightly.  "I'm not trying to prove anything! I just- I just want to spend time with you."  "That's what we're doing right now! You're the one who made it awkward!"  "I'm sorry! Okay! I'm just confused and frustrated but all I know is that I don't want Sam or Elle here.  I just want to be alone with you."  "Then why didn't you say something when I told you I was bringing her!"  "I don't know." She sighed.  It was at that moment, she noticed Elle and Sam standing behind the table.  Tom grabbed Elle's hand and walked out of the restaurant, "We gotta go."  "Tom wait!" Naomi called out.  He didn't say anything, he just left.