p. vision

PROLOGUE!
VISION M83

GOLDEN INK SCRAWLED across the fresh sheet of paper, glimmering in the sunlight. Soft music played in my ears, doing very little to block out the commotion outside of my room.

 I'd started out with an idea for a story. Somehow the name "Benny" ended up before me, golden and magnificent. With a sigh, I crumpled the paper up and dropped it into the filling trashcan beside the vanity.

 Nearly a year had passed since I had abandoned California for Tennessee. Now Benny and I no longer spoke. He must have lost interest. After a few months, he had grown quieter and quieter. It had been months since we had last spoken.

 Another sigh escaped me, just as the door of my bedroom burst open. The mirror ahead of me presented Luke's reflection—dark hair falling near his eyes, eyes narrowed with the radiance of his grin.

 "What?" I demanded, while ripping away my earbuds. Now the sound of Tessa's screaming was clearer than ever.

 Luke strode toward me, then dropped to his knees, arms propped on my chair. He was nearly eye-level with me. The smile never left his face.

 "I just got some really great news."

 "What?" I repeated, meeting Luke's bright eyes with a confused frown. "You're freaking me out a little."

 Luke looked as though he would start dancing. "Our house in California is open again. The people who moved in got kicked out for, like, holding someone hostage. I don't know, it was a crazy story—"

 "Wait, how's this good news?" I broke in. "It doesn't matter, if we can't even live there."

 For a moment, Luke's smile faltered. And then he laughed. "Oh, shit, I thought you knew! Mom and Dad have been talking about moving back—mostly because of Judge Dickhead, but still. And they agreed that they would consider moving back if our old house was available."

 A chill ran the length of my spine, prickling the hairs on my head. "Well, I doubt they're just going to up and leave now....I mean, it'd be great, but don't try to get my hopes up."

 Luke reached to take hold of my hand, to clasp it between both of his own. Up close, the green chunks in his eyes were more prominent—proof, if his expression gave no hint, that he was avid.

 His demeanor alone forced some hope into my heart. Probably the feeling in my heart was part fear, for I would never allow someone to kill the glittering joy in my brother's eyes—even if he was nineteen and able to fend for himself.

 "Okay, I'm not positive that they'll actually do it, but...I wanted to tell you that I'm going, with or without them. I haven't said anything to them yet, but I want to be with Liz. I want to marry her."

 My mouth fell open. Of course, I'd known that the pair were going on strong, even if their relationship for a year had been solely long-distance. Elizabeth worked too often, too hard to afford a visit—especially with Benny, whom she would definitely have to tow along. And Luke was rebuilding his college savings, so he did not have much to spare.

 Luke laughed at my speechlessness, and he gave my hand a squeeze. "Yeah, I know. It's a lot to process—it is for me, at least. But I'm sure about her. And I'm going to live with her by the end of this month."

 Regaining my sense, I brought my free hand to curl around Luke's, and a smile broke onto my face. "I'm so happy for you, Luke. You really deserve her. But...can't you take me with you?"

 Luke grinned. "Let's go talk to the parents about it. You're sixteen—I'm pretty sure it'd be illegal to just move across the country with you without custody."

 I shrugged. "But maybe not."

 Smile never lessening, Luke jumped to his feet, pulling me along with him. "Well, let's go see. Maybe within a month we'll all be going."

 Abandoning the golden pen, I ran with Luke into the kitchen, where Mom cooked and Dad tried to calm baby Tessa, whose dirty-blond curls were splattered with mashed peas.

 Back still turned, Mom stabbed a finger into the air. "I already know, Luke. Elizabeth just texted me."

 "Know what?" Dad turned over, curious eyes sweeping over his family.

 "Our old house is up for grabs," Luke announced, an air of pride about him. He winked at Dad. "Didn't you say we would be moving back there if it did?"

 Despite his love for his birthplace, small town Tennessee, Dad's mouth turned in a slight smile. "I was just missing the Valley."

 Luke caught one of my hands—a gesture that was surprising when I wasn't hurt or grieving. He grinned down at me. "I'd say you should start packing your things."

hello, and welcome to the third book of 'all that matters.' warning: be prepared for anger and mixed feelings. for new friends and old friends alike. for change and maturity (in other words, if you are not prepared to run into sexual themes, be cautious).

a year has passed since the departure of makayla and our beloved sandlot boys. by some miracle, she is able to return—but she will soon find that not everything is as she left them.

thank you for reading, and stay gold,

x kayla

11/04/17