ii. new map

CHAPTER TWO!
NEW MAP M83

A SCREAM RIPPED me away from my dreams. When my eyes popped open, bleary from sleep, my gaze fell upon several people.

 But I recognized the scream, of course. Ivy. She was rushing toward me, as I lay confused on Benny's couch. And then she dropped to the floor, just in front of me, plugging my view with her grin.

 "You thought you could keep it a secret forever?" Ivy grinned.

 Rubbing at my eyes and smiling, I said, "Not forever. Just until today."

 Ivy laughed. "That's messed up. But you know what? You chose a really good time to come back. Tonight—you're coming with us to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery."

 I sent Ivy an odd look. "Why are we going to a graveyard? Are you trying to get into, like, witchcraft or something? 'Cause my grandma—"

 She laughed loudly, shaking her head so that her tight curls bounced wildly. "Definitely not."

 "It's an outdoor cinema thing," a new voice said, and Leah dropped next to Ivy, a bright smile on her face. "Hey, Makayla."

 A grin broke onto my face, and I sat up to pull both girls into my arms. They hugged back tightly.

 "Kat got sick," Ivy said, "so you're taking her ticket. And we're staying the night there—at the cemetery. Trust me, you won't regret it."

WHEN Ivy had mentioned a "we" and Leah had shown up, I was not surprised to find that Kenny was coming as well. He and Leah had started dating soon after my departure and had been together for nearly a year. But I had not expected Benny and Brandy to be coming as well.

 After the news of the event, I'd gone to my house, showered, and allowed Ivy to pick out my outfit. In payment, she answered the one question that nagged at my mind. Why did no one tell me about Brandy?

 "No one wanted to hurt you like that," she'd explained. "It wasn't really something we agreed upon, but...I guess no one really wanted to mention it."

 She had asked if I was angry, and I'd shaken my head. I wasn't angry. Probably it would have hurt worse if I'd found out sooner. That he had started to grow distant around the time that he and Brandy started dating.

 "But you'll get him back," Ivy had assured. "I know Brandy's a nice girl and all, but he belongs with you."

 I hadn't responded to that. As much as I missed Benny, as much as I loved him...he was probably happy with Brandy. Clearly he no longer wanted me, so I would have to accept that.

 Now I stared into the mirror of my bathroom, proud of my appearance. Ivy had dressed me in a black The 1975 T-shirt, tucked into a tight denim skirt, fishnets, and my only pair of Doc Martens, black and long, sides lined with roses. My hair was a long curtain of curls, as black as night. All of this was contrasted starkly with my pale skin, but my eyes—a mixture of blue and green and gray—popped with color.