chapter 2

I woke up hours later to the sun dipping low in the sky and voices filling the house. My body was stiff and from the fetal position I was curled up in, I could understand why. I was reluctant to move, let alone walk out where my supposed new family was. I knew there was a great amount of them I hadn't meant yet, and they must have found me rude for spending the past few hours in my room. The mere thought of standing up, walking out by them, and pretending to enjoy the fact that I was in there company had my heart racing and my stomach in knots.

I shoved my tear stained face into the pillow that was now mine and inhaled deeply. I would have to find the courage to face them at some point, though I wasn't sure when that would be. As I was gathering some hidden strength within me to sit up and join everyone, my door creaked open. All my muscles tensed and I bit down on my pillow slightly, tucking my chin closer to my knees.

I swore I could hear the person breathing, but brushed it off as my mind playing tricks on me. Then, after silence, footsteps, heading over to the bed I was laying on. I ground my teeth together, pain slicing through my jaw but I ignored it. Hands gripped my shoulders and instead of my blurry vision of my blue pillowcase, I saw cruel grins and threatening leers. I gasped loudly, jerking away from the touch and rolling onto my back.

My eyes met a stormy grey pair and I froze, ice water running through my veins.

The boy standing next to the bed had his head tilted curiously as he stared down at me, his eyes asking questions I didn't know the answers to. Obsidian black curls fell over his forehead, just short of his obscuring his captivating eyes from me. He had fair skin, and it looked so soft that I had to resist the urge to reach out and feel it. His biceps that flexed as he crossed his arms over his chest had my mouth going dry.

"Did I startle you?" He asked in a deep voice that had my pounding against my chest.

"Kind of, yeah," I whispered, my tongue darting out and running across my lips. "I was sleeping and when you woke me..."

"Yeah," his voice level matched my own, barely disturbing the silence that had previously enveloped my room before he had entered it. "I'm sorry. Landon said that I should wake you up so you could come eat." He suddenly narrowed his eyes at me. "Have you ate anything yet today?"

Words got caught in my throat and I gawked, desperately searching my brain for any memory of consuming food that day. I came up blank, finding that had no recollection whatsoever of being fed. When Annie had picked me up that morning and offered to stop somewhere for food, I had turned her down though, my stomach in too many knots to try to eat. I entwined my fingers together, twisting them, the same knots forming in my stomach again.

"I... I can't remember," I lied, trying to soften the blow somewhat since he was still watching me, his eyes demanding an answer to his question, one he seemed greatly concerned about.

"If you can't remember," he said, tilting his head down closer to my own. I jerked my head back slightly, my hands shifting down to the blanket and gripping it tightly. "Then you probably haven't eaten. Come on. We're making grilled cheese and soup, it's the kids favorite."

"The kid's?" I questioned quietly as he took a step back, allowing me to stand. I ran my fingers through my hair, smoothing it away from my face in an attempt to look somewhat presentable. Earlier, Jessica had mentioned that an Isaiah and a Jase were out with some kids and I was curious to know how old they were. Then, I wondered if the boy standing before me was either Jase or Isaiah. I cleared my throat, remembering my manners. "I'm Nyx, by the way"

His lips quirked up slightly, amusement flashing in his steel eyes. "I know," he replied, turning his back to me and leading me out of the room, down the hall. My eyebrows furrowed together, but I followed him anyways. "Mik has been giving me an earful about you. I'm Cassius, don't know if they bothered to mention me."