19. AN ACCIDENT

incoming call: unknown number

dom:
hello?

unknown:
Mr. Sherwood?

dom:
yeah. who's this?

unknown:
My name is Janine Bowman. I'm a nurse at Valley General Hospital. Is your wife Annabelle Sherwood?

dom:
yeah. what's happened?

Janine:
She was in a pretty severe car accident a few hours ago. I can't share many details over the phone, but you should get down here.

dom:
i'll be there in ten minutes.

•••••

Dom threw his phone down, startling Matt. They were sitting together at Annabelle and Dom's kitchen table, talking. Matt had actually come over to express to Dom his concern that Annabelle hadn't made it back to the apartment yet since he'd talked to her a few hours before.

"Dom?" Matt followed him into the bedroom, concerned. Dom didn't answer at first; he just pulled on a pair of shoes and a jacket in a hurried fashion. He grabbed his keys and wallet off the kitchen table and Matt stepped in front of him as he walked toward the door, blocking him. Tears slipped silently down his cheeks and Matt cocked his head to the side, his hand on Dom's shoulder.

"Annabelle... was in an accident," Dom said simply and Matt nodded at once, trying to keep his instant anxiety under the surface. He grabbed Dom's keys from him and hurried out the door, listening to Dom's heavy footsteps behind him and doing his best to not completely fall apart.