20. LOOK AT ME

Matt and Dom hurried into the hospital a little while later, both of them doing their best to hold themselves together

Matt and Dom hurried into the hospital a little while later, both of them doing their best to hold themselves together. Nora rushed in a few minutes later, joining them as they did their best to figure out where the needed to be. Once they finally did, Dom rushed to the desk and regarded the nurse sitting there roughly.

"My name is Dominic Sherwood. My wife... Annabelle... is here somewhere," he said, and the nurse nodded, typing on the keyboard in front of her.

"She's in surgery right now, but she should be out soon," the nurse told him, and he shook his head.

"What happened?" he asked, and she directed her attention back to her computer screen. She read for a few long moments, obviously familiarizing herself with Annabelle's situation.

"She was in a car accident. It seems she's got a couple of broken bones; an arm and a few ribs. She's in surgery for a gash across her torso that they had to sew up and make sure nothing was bumped around too much in there, but judging by her charts, she's going to be just fine," the nurse told him, and her nonchalant tone filled him with rage.

Biting his tongue, he nodded and crossed the room to relay the information to Nora and Matt. Matt softened at once, obviously relieved. Nora, on the other hand, kept her expression steady and Dom couldn't quite read her.

They sat there in silence for what felt like hours before finally, the same nurse Dom had spoken to before approached them, telling him that they could go see her if they wanted.

Dom hurried in that direction, bursting through the door long before Matt and Nora could even catch up with him.

"Belles?" Dom asked, his voice gentle. He took in her appearance; she was pretty beaten up but overall looked okay. She was completely conscious as he approached her and she reached for him. He gave her his hand and she squeezed it tightly.

"I love you," she whispered, tears streaming freely down her face. "I'm so sorry."

"It doesn't matter right now, sweet little one. All that matters right now is that you're okay," he told her, leaning down to kiss her forehead.

Just as he did so, Nora and Matt entered the room. Matt hung back, watching as Nora approached Annabelle and stared her down intensely.

"Were you high?" Nora questioned her, surprising everyone else in the room.

"W-what?" Annabelle stuttered, and Nora took another step closer to her. Matt crossed the room, placing his hand on Nora's shoulder. She promptly shook him off, taking yet another step closer to Annabelle until she was leaning down practically right in her face.

"Annabelle, answer me. Were you high when you crashed your car?" Nora asked, her tone deadly.

"No," Annabelle whispered, turning away from her sister as more tears poured down her cheeks. Nora stood fast, studying the side of her face.

"Look at me," Nora said in that same tone, and Annabelle obeyed at once. "Were you high when you crashed your car?" she asked again, and Annabelle shook her head.

"No, I wasn't, Nora. Now get the fuck out of my face," Annabelle said, her temper also obviously starting to flare up.

"Alright, that's enough. Annabelle, I love you and I'm glad you're alright. I'll talk to you later, okay?" Matt asked, and when Annabelle nodded, he directed his attention at Nora. "And you're coming with me. Come on. Now," he said, and Nora just stared at him, dumbfounded. "Come on!" he said, raising his voice for the first time Annabelle could ever remember. Nora nodded, following him out of the room quietly. She shot a final look back at Annabelle and it took everything in her to not flip off her little sister as she went.

"I wasn't," Annabelle whispered, directing her attention back to Dom just to make sure that he believed her. "I wasn't high, Dominic. I literally wouldn't have even had time between the therapist appointment and the accident, and you know how hard I'm working. I wouldn't do that."

"I know," he confirmed, nodding.