Part 3

This wasn't the first time she's gotten away

This wasn't the first time she's gotten away. He always found her. He knew these woods. Lived here. Hunt here.

It had become a game to him. He'd give her a small taste of freedom then he snatched it away.

The first time was soul crushing, to think she'd make it. To think she would see her mom again.

Her mom, she'd be so worried. She'd be trying to move heaven and hell to find her only child.

That's why she kept running. Kept fighting. She'd fight until she couldn't fight any more.

Last time it was nearly dawn before he caught her. She'd run all night long. Bumping around in the dark, tripping over everything in her path. It had gotten harder and harder to get back up again but she had. Thinking any minute now she'd find something. A road. A river. Anything.

There must be something out here other than a lone cabin with one lone deranged man.

Paisley stopped moving forward and leaned against the nearest tree. She was moving too slow. Making too much noise. Of course, he kept finding her.

Dear Lord, she didn't know what to do.

Her legs were weak, she hasn't eaten in days. Hasn't slept. She was so tried. So scared. Fear. It has become a constant companion of hers but she refused to let it consume her. Refused to let it win. To let him win.

There was too much to live for.

With a soft moan, she pushed herself away from the tree she'd been clingy to and forced her legs to hold her up.

Which way?

It was useless trying to see anything. It was too dark. The forest was so dense that no moonlight was allowed entrance. Even in daylight these woods would be dark and eerie but she'd rather be lost in these woods then back in that cabin.

She couldn't let him find her again. He was getting scarier. And he had been scary enough to begin with.

Since seeing was out of the question, she looked around trying to sense where to go. Trying to hear any sign of life.

Please, please, please. There had to be something out there.

A slim hand pressed against her mouth to contain a cry of despair. Above the sound of the wind and the trees, were footsteps coming fast.

She went to her knees. He found her already. Playing the game was no longer enough for him.

Crawling, she hid behind some fallen trees. Trying to make herself as small as possible.

She was too scared to cry. To terrified to let out any sound. 'Please God help me. Please. Somebody, please help.' She chanted over and over in her head.