Part 6

He slammed into the house and raced for the stairs

He slammed into the house and raced for the stairs. His cash supply would be pathetic. He'd be lucky if there was enough to get him halfway there. No matter how fast he traveled it wouldn't be fast enough.

Finding a measly thirty bucks in his sock drawer, he went into a fit of rage and tried to turn over the damn dresser.

Grabbing a duffle bag, he threw everything he could sell or pawn into it. Wasting time, he didn't have.

"What's going on, Jay?"

Normally, he would have ignored that question, but he was desperate. There was nothing he wouldn't do to get to Paisley.

He tossed his bag on the floor and turned to face his foster mom. God, he hated calling her that, but it was his way of reminding himself who she was. Someone he couldn't trust. Someone not to depend on.

He's been living here for almost two years and he'd never asked for anything. He stayed gone as much as he could. Out of sight, out of mind. In some homes that work, in others it didn't. In this one it didn't. The more he stayed gone, the more Lisa came around. Always wanting to know how he was doing. Always trying to feed him. The first time she'd hugged him he'd nearly killed them both by trying to get away. After that tumble down the stairs, she became clingier and the cast on his foot kept him from being able to run away.

She was also smart. She knew he was leaving, and she looked ready to fight. That also meant that his foster dad would be on his way.

He took a deep breath and tried to hide his shaking hands in his jean pockets. "I need cash. Can you give me some?"

Her eyes widen then she hid her surprise. One thing about Lisa Princeton, she was an open book. Every emotion right there on her face. She was excited that he had finally asked for her help. She was disappointed that it was something she couldn't give him.

Jay picked up his bag and started loading it with his junk again. It wouldn't be enough, but he'd get as far as he could then he'd steal the rest if he had to.

"I didn't say I wouldn't give it to you. I might, if you don't want it so you can run away or want it for alcohol."

"I'm not running away. I'll come back.... if you want me to."

She winced a little at his pause and then again at his words.

She's been trying to tell him for two years he would always have a home here, she couldn't understand that he'd never be able to believe that.

Jack stepped into the doorway and took everything in with a glance. He would remain a bystander unless he felt he was needed.

"This is your home. Of course, we want you here." Lisa stated softly. "Tell me what you need the money for."

"You wouldn't believe me."

"Try me."

He was wasting too much time. He needed that money and a car. Closing his eyes, he counted to ten. Nothing in his whole life had ever mattered, but this did. He couldn't screw this up.

"She's in trouble. I have to get to her."

"Then you will. Do we need an overnight bag?"

"You can't come."

"Of course, we can."

Jay looked towards Jack for help, but Jack was already smiling.

Groaning, he accepted his fate. He said he'd do whatever it took but damn.