Chapter 6 Vax's Call

Tensions were high the moment Vax and OC-49 left Jax's Workshop on Dazania, Asmeru.

Even though Vax had no idea about Tye hearing everything he said, Tye was still very cautious about the way he spoke around the man steadily losing his mind and whom Tye had unfortunately relinquished command of his unit to from too long ago past experiences.

The pair stood aboard the bridge of the starship as the ships com-unit began to alert them of an incoming message.
"Patch, patch it through," called Tye over their helmet comlinks to Patch in the control room below.
'Roger,' came the reply from Patch, as the holo-projector came on before them.

On the screen stood a sorry looking excuse of a man who had obviously been through a form of hell before reaching out to contact them. 

'If this is reaching you, OC-49, please respond.'

The man seemed slightly too fidgety for Tye's liking as he watched the message intended for his Mercenary Company.

'We've been attacked and overrun by Pirates. They're taking everything.'

Vax thought he heard the subtle click of a firearms safety being turned off, but he couldn't be quite sure. Tye however, was positive that was the noise as the man practically jumped out of his socks and flinched away from the projector as if it was about to strike him.

'Please,' pleaded the man. 'Please come help us.'

The feed was suddenly terminated, but neither Tye nor Vax had seen the man move to turn it off.

"It's an elaborate ruse," said Vax, as the pair continued to watch the blank screen.
"Which we're undoubtedly about to walk into," said Tye, as if he could read Vax's mind. "They should have mentioned the pirate groups name in the message. It's guaranteed to be a trap now. Why are you willing to risk me and my brothers to further your goals with this pursuit?"

Vax stared insistently at Tye, as the latter wished he could really keep his mouth shut about those sorts of issues. But it appeared that Vax hadn't gotten Tye's accidental implication.

"She is notorious for working out in the Outer Rim, particularly on planets like these," replied Vax.
"Isn't this an asteroid belt?" asked Tye. "And a barely habitable one at that?"
"This is where she inflicts the most damage," said Vax. "Places no one knows or cares about."

Tye was silent for a moment for he knew that this insufferable pronoun game would have to end.
Immediately.

"Who is this 'she' ?"

Now it was Vax's turn to be silent.
Tye made no move to leave or force an answer from Vax as he waited patiently for Vax's reply.

But the reply he wanted was not to be forthcoming.

"She is none of your concern," said Vax.
"If you're hunting her with my company, then it does make it my concern," said Tye. "If not only to know who we're up against, but for the safety of my family."

"Get out," whispered Vax.
Tye stubbornly stayed.

"GET OUT!" yelled Vax.
Still, Tye stayed.

"Must I spell it out for you?" seethed Vax.
"Only if you tell me who this female we're hunting is," countered Tye.
"This is not how you go about saving this precious family of yours," replied Vax, in a poisonous whisper.
"This is how you kill them."

"And you'd know all about that, wouldn't you?" said Tye as he stayed a mere moment longer before retreating further into the ship and away from the clearly maddening 'Commander' of their 'Rebel Cell'.

If it had ever been that.

"Tye," came a suddenly clear sounding voice of Vax for a moment. Tye turned to listen again but he did not return to his post.
"We're taking this mission."

Tye nodded and went to leave as he grimaced when catching the final comment exchanged between the two of them.

"Even if you do kill them all."

"C.T," whispered Tye, getting the other man's attention.
"What?" startled C.T, sitting up suddenly and smacking his head on the piping immediately above him.
"We have a new mission," explained Tye in a rapid hushed voice to stem C.T's violent cursing.
"To the Vergesso Asteroids."

"That's in the middle of bloody nowhere!" said C.T, coming out from under the engine area he was making sure was tuned up and still rubbing his head. "Ow. It's a virtually inhospitable asteroid belt!"
"I thought as much," said Tye. "It's a rescue mission. Pirates. Vax says we're going."

"What are we really going to do Tye?" asked C.T, after no more information seemed to be forthcoming.
"One last mission," replied Tye. "Before we're all killed by his madness."