6. The Night (2/4)

Finally, it's midnight. I picked up what I would be needed and went out of the car.

When I stopped in front of her house's door, I checked my phone to see if she's awake or not, just to see she's not sleeping.

I walked around the house for a couple of minutes to make sure the neighbours are either sleep or not snooping around, to see me.

Great, everything was clear.

I looked up only to find her room's lights are off.

I walked to the bushes where I had put the front door keys, so if there was an emergency, I could find the key easily. I had dug the earth exactly five steps to the left of the first bush.

Kneeling on the ground, where I had kneeled countless times in those two years. The last time I entered the house was three days ago. Pushing the dirt away after removing a certain amount of grass, I was faced with the grey stone but bare from the key that was supposed to lay there.

A small panicked feeling crept to my guts. A lot of the plan's weight was on the way of entering the house. If I knock on the door, Annie won't open it. She's not supposed to open it! And if I knock the door down, I would scare my fragile little angel.... A bad first impression.

Digging the ground furiously, I tried to find the key. The once excitement was replacing furiousness and I was seeing red.

And that was when I first heard it. In the moments of all seeing red, I heard it. It was faint but made me frozen in my place.

Annie?

A thunder roared and in the silence that only follows thunders, I heard it again; the sounds of faint shouting and tapping on the glass that was mixed with the sound of pouring rain. Turning around, as in a cue, lightning flashed and the figure I saw behind the window was completely into the light.

Annie... my sweet little Annie was standing there before the window, eyes wide and hair wild, like a scared angel...