3. Unplanned Meetings

Savannah's PoV

It's been a week since I was discharged from the hospital. It has also been a week since I last saw and spoke to Jay. I mean, it's not like I miss her or anything. It's just, I don't know. I do have her phone number but I don't want to look clingy or something. I also don't have the guts to do it.

"Girl, please don't tell me you're still staring at that paper," Brad said as he came behind the counter.

I immediately shoved the piece of paper that had Jay's phone number on it into my pants pocket.

"I think you're imagining things," I retorted.

"I think you think that staring at the paper will magically make you woman up and leave her a GODDAMN TEXT, DAMMIT SAV, JUST TEXT HER!" he shouted at the end of his sentence and batted his lashes when he was done.

I looked around us where, thankfully, not many customers were looking at us since they were busy with whatever they were doing.

Brad and I are working part-time at a small book store called Pick n' Read that's not too far from my apartment which I share with Gabby just to earn a little extra pocket money. Brad needed the money since he's still studying in med school to become a doctor.

It's just so happens that we're working the same shift.

"Geez, Bradley, not too loud!" I whisper-shouted at him. "You're gonna scare off the customers."

"Sav, the only thing that's gonna scare off the customers is your lack of common sense."

I stared at him at disbelief. "Excuse you. Rude much?"

He sighed and said, "The reason you're not leaving her a message is because you've thought so many times that 'Oh! She hasn't texted me either which means she totally not interested in me.' which, by the way, is so false because the only reason she's hasn't texted you is because your smartass didn't give her your phone number."

I looked at him blankly. I opened my mouth to make a smart comeback but I couldn't.

He's absolutely right.

"I hate you," I mumbled.

"Love you too, honey," he replied with a wink. "Look, I've seen you stare at that for the whole day. Just text her already. She's definitely gonna reply to your message."

Just then, a customer appeared at the counter and our boss, aka Mrs. Bridge (or better known as Mrs. Bitch to Brad), just walked into the store.

"Brad, get back to work before Mrs. Bridge threatens to fire you again." He rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue out as I pushed him out from behind the counter. I rang up all the items that the customer wanted.

Mrs. Bridge is a nice, kind middle-aged lady. Well, to me at least.

Mrs. Bridge was actually against me starting work again so soon after being discharged and allowed me to take another week off. I told her I could do it. I didn't want to sit around at home doing nothing.

Don't get me wrong, you can't go wrong getting cozily wrapped up in your comfy blanket watching Netflix but I would get bored eventually.

Favouritism definitely exist here in Pick n' Read. Luckily for me, I'm her 'best worker' and unlucky for Brad, he's her 'worst worker'. The amount of times she has threatened to jeopardise his job as a sales assistant is uncountable. Poor Brad.

I glanced down at my watch. Two hours left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those two hours felt like two years. It was the longest hours I've ever experienced. The most agonising, if you will.