Chapter Twenty-Two

The dancing flames of the candles were casting dark shadows over Lorems handsome face. "Every kingdom has been gathering forces for the past months and the casual attacks to check one's strength have been increasing since the past year but Miuh has not done anything alike whatsoever. Coming from a king who claims loyalty to his people, it is extremely fishy." The knife he rotated in his hands reflected the flames, causing sharp slivers of light on the walls of the hut. "And now you're here and he is the first to jump at your existence."

It fell silent. His throat bobbed as he swallowed hard.

"You think he has to do something with my appearance in this world."

It was not a question, but Lorem still replied. "Yes, I do. The unspoken tension has been building for some time now and now it reached it's highest point yet, you appear and he wants to play friends when he should have been gathering his own forces."

I now completely understood his unspoken aggression to the king. Miuh was playing the fun host when he should have been training soldiers, readying his people and checking up on Zamsar. If he really was the reason I lost my family and world... I balled my fists. I wasn't sure if I could forgive him that. Maybe he had wanted to bring me back to my own world eventually, but with my changed origins, I couldn't. Ever. Because he needed an easy win in this war and make me his very own wish-puppet.

"Easy there." Lorem crawled closer to me and grabbed my hands. I looked down and saw blood trickling down my palm from spots my nails had been moments ago. "I won't let anything happen to you, Catalina. If somebody hurts you-..." A glint of passion shot through his eyes. "Let's just say their death will be slow and painful."

My heart warmed. I did not doubt that promise for one second. Lorem would protect me, even if it meant killing a king. Just like he would attack Oahn's father when he'd hurt his best friend.

Lorem sat in a crouch before me and his knees touched mine. His fingers were warm around my hands. I felt utterly safe around him, like nobody could ever break through this wall given flesh. I didn't want to ruin the moment but I had to ask.

"Lor-... What happened at Oahn's house yesterday. You didn't seem human and approachable and you were completely off this planet the whole evening after."

Lorem tensed slightly but he didn't pull away. Instead, his eyes dropped to our holding hands. "It was my magic. Angulus magic. It makes us do things that we don't want to do."

A long strand of hair fell in his face and I wanted to brush it away, but I couldn't get myself to pull my hands away. For a while, the only sound was Fletcher's soft breathing as he was laying next to the entrance, making sure nobody would get in.

"Things like-...?" 

Lorem sighed softly. He turned the palm of my right hand upwards and dropped the other so he could grab his knife. He slightly pressed the sharp side onto my skin. I nervously glanced at the gesture. What was he doing? 

"This makes you feel uneasy, doesn't it?" I nodded. "If I pressed harder, what would you do?"

My eyes were glued to the knife, ready to jump in as soon as it would start to hurt. "I would want to yank my hands back."

The strand of hair danced up and down as he nodded. "And what would you do if somebody you don't know does it?"

"I would yank my hand back, knock you out and run away as fast as I could."

He pulled away his knife and sheated it in its holder at his side. His clothes ruffled as he sat down on the floor. "Right. Your insticts tell you to flee, to get yourself in safety. In that moment of danger, your insticts take over and you cannot do anything else but to listen." His bright eyes peered into mine, a calmness settled over his face like he was tutoring one of the younger Angulus. "Angulus magic is all about following instincts. It keeps us alive. Our better speed and strength gives us one step ahead in order to protect anything or anyone, but once the instincts take over, you're like a bloodhound on a scent. It takes control over your body, knowing better than your mind what to do in a certain situation. It kicks in when your emotions are high, either because of danger or love."