Chapter Twenty-Eight

OAHN POV

________________

The clock chimed three in the morning. It was late. Or early, depending on what you're doing. Catalina's bedsheets rustled beneath me as I laid sprawled over her bed, my arms folded underneath my head and my gaze glued to the ceiling, waiting for her return.

What a mess.

Catalina was off visiting Lorem, seeing how he was doing. I didn't particularly like her going off on her own, but she was armed with a powerful illusion spell Banji had given me for safekeeping, and besides, she would have taped me to the bed herself if I was gonna follow her. She wanted to do this alone. Her determination of always wanting to do stuff by herself made me almost roll my eyes. Feisty girl.

But it didn't mean I was feeling chill about it. Lorem was my best friend, but I didn't trust him in an Angulus state. Not when Catalina was an untrained human in Angulus magic. She didn't realize how strong Lorem actually was, and how strong his bloodlust in case he couldn't refrain himself. A bloodlust none of them could master, no matter how hard we tried. And for Lorem it was even worse. He hated the killing, the blood and crimson sticking to his hands afterwards. I had no clue what to expect. Was he completely gone with rage, was he reserved and silent? I had no clue.

After the loss of Masha, Lorem had still kept it sane, though the warmth he had usually worn, had vanished to only a glimpse of a warm smile to me every now and then. He had turned into this harsh, brutal shell of power and he didn't care if people were afraid or not. But ever since that weekend trip where he and Catalina had gone into the mountains, the usual warmth had slowly started returning to his face, his behaviour lighter and more relaxed than usual.

I slid my fingers over my lips. Lips Catalina had touched less than an hour ago.

We had kissed. We were friends but we had kissed. I had almost taken her right then and there, but the guards had pulled me back into sanity, thank god. Disgust coiled in my stomach, I hated myself for not being able to dim it, to break it off.

I didn't like Catalina, not in that way, but the lack of sex since our arrival wasn't doing well for my well-being. I needed sex more often than any other, my instincts more lust based than to fight. And when Catalina had moaned, her body silently asking for more, I had almost completely lost it. I knew she had wanted it too. Her emotions were a mess with her new magic coiling in her veins. Fights, bloodlust and now sex. It was all hitting her in slow movements, too slow for us to detect in time. I didn't want to think about Lorem being on edge and Catalina's magic being triggered too. They could rip each other's throats out or it could be an animalistic fuck.

A sigh slipped out of me. I had to find someone soon, or my control would completely shatter too, and nobody wanted to deal with an Angulus trying to hump every being with eyes.

But I couldn't get myself to focus on stuff like that, not when there was always this presence in the back of my mind since the water dragon had spoken to me. I had no idea what it was, but it was strong, that was for damn sure, and it seemed like it was waiting for it to be provoked, to let loose. I shuddered at the thought. What a mess.

Feather light, quick footsteps propelled through the hallway, footsteps I could only hear because of my Angulus hearing. They came to a halt behind the door and it opened with a smash.

Catalina stepped through the doorway, her face twisted in pain and worry.

When she saw me, her bright green eyes opened wide. "Oahn, what are you doing here?"

I propped my head on my elbow and lifted a brow. "Waiting for you of course. How'd it go?"

Catalina's small frame moved closer and her surprised expression turned heart broken again. "Bad. Lorem wasn't himself. At first it was like talking to a brick wall. He showed no emotions."