Chapter Thirty-Four

Catalina POV

I stepped through the door with Oahn by my side and I clamped his hand tightly. Gerio introduced us as we walked down the set of stairs and I knew, just knew, my palms were sweaty with anxiety. Ugh, I hated this. All eyes were on us and every conversation turned silent as we made our way through the ballroom, including Miuh, who was dressed in dark blue and gold, and Zamsar, who just stepped on the dais, a white blouse clinging to his body. I was so damn glad I wasn't a princess that had to do this every week or so. I wasn't made for gowns and balls and acting gracefully. Not when I didn't even like my own reflection most of the time.

Oahn pinched my hand reassuringly. "You look absolutely stunning, C. Stop fidgeting."

"I hate this." I hissed through my smile.

"I know." He steered me to the side of the ballroom. "But you're doing great." Oahn had finally found somebody to share the night with and it was nice to see at least one of my friends turned to normal.

My nerves slightly decreased at the words and I finally lifted my gaze from the ground to look around. The guests around us were already bored and continued their halted conversations. The women looked beautiful, gowns from the brightest red to the darkest green made the room look like somebody smeared a canvas with splotches of paint. The men looked handsome too, expensive suits in black and grey offered a moment of peace for the watching eyes.
At the far end of the room, Miuh and Zamsar were stood on a dais, a long table filled with fuzzing drinks and amazing looking little snacks. Definitely had to pay the table a visit later, the food looked good. Insanely good. Almost as good as the two men standing in front of it.

Miuh was observing the crowd from the dais, his mouth a flat line in boredom, and Zamsar was chatting up a beautiful blonde girl, unsurprisingly.

I took my gaze away and halted my steps when I beheld the guy Oahn was walking me to.

Lorem.

Leaning against the wall with a twinkle in his eye even though his face was gaunt and hollow. We hadn't spoken since last night, so I did not really know how to act, but the way his sleeves were rolled up, showing muscles, or maybe the way his suit literally suited the form of his body, awoke some certain butterflies in my stomach.

I had no eyes for the guests all around us, just for this beautiful man that stood with his hands in his pockets and his mouth slightly parted.

"Hi." Was all I brought out. My hands were slightly trembling so I put them behind my back.

Lorem looked me over once, twice, his face expressionless except for his eyes, that crinkled with warmth, a look I hadn't seen in days. "Hi." Was his breathless reply. He gave Oahn a nod in silent thanks.

Thanks? What did I miss?

Oahn gave Lor a clap on the back. "Dang, Lor. You look great."

Lorem smiled at Oahn. "If I wouldn't know better, I'd say you're flirting with me."

"Maybe I am."

They both laughed before their gazes ended on me.

"What?" I said.

Oahn gave me a grin but Lorem's face straightened like his mouth hadn't just fallen open.

"Stop looking." I knew I was blushing. God damn it.

"Ah, she's blushing." Oahn laughed at Lorem. He pat me on my head. "I never knew it was so easy to make you blush."

I slapped his hand away, but a smile was spreading on my face.