Chapter Thirty-Six

Oahn POV

Three arrows. Three guards went down as the arrows cut their throats.

I knocked three more on the string of my bow and closed my eyes to slits to find my aim.

The ballroom was a mess, people from both kingdoms went down and it was completely gruesome. Zamsar was cutting down men as swiftly as a dancer can twirl around the room, Catalina held her ground perfectly fine close to the doors, and Lorem was a literal whirlwind of blood and steel. He moved too fast around the room and I couldn't bring him in focus. He was a beast, an Angulus that had half of the death count on his name.

Three guards circled two men in bloody suits right below us. I pointed the arrows towards their throats and stretched the strings.

I let go.

The three guards fell down, their hands clutched to their throats. The men of Water didn't look up and ran to another pair of soldiers, not wasting any time in reclaiming the castle.

To my surprise, Banji held his composure better than I had expected. Yes, he was slightly shaking, but he kept his stare pierced on the floor below and told me who needed my help.

An attack. This was an actual attack from kingdom to kingdom. And we were caught right in the middle. Did queen Sapphira know we were here or did she simply not care about possibly killing the only girl who could grant her ultimate power?

"Over there!" Banji shrieked.

I followed his stare and found prince Zamsar being herded to the wall. Four men against one. Pricks.

Zamsar kicked one in the stomach and the soldier doubled over, but the other three quickly closed in. Blood was gushing from a deep cut in Zamsar's cheek and he was panting heavy, but there was no indication of further wounds.

I knocked four arrows on the string of my bow, one for each of them. My fingers glided over the familiar weapon and I aimed for their throats again. I couldn't get a clean shot. Fuck. The men had pinned him to the wall, two daggers yanked through Zamsar's shoulders on either side like he was nothing more than a painting, and they hid him from view.

"I can't shoot them." I said through gritted teeth. "If they jump away, I'll kill Zamsar."

A flicker of movement on the side. Banji dropped in a crouch and hauled a brown bag from his shoulder. Frantically, he searched the bag for something, heaving panicking breaths. Okay, maybe not as good in keeping his composure as I thought.

"Here. Use this." He jumped to his feet, holding a small velvety bag.

"What is it?" I peered from the corners of my eye, the arrows still aimed at the soldiers.

"Gemstones. I always keep them with me in case something bad happens."

"Something like this, you mean?" He blushed at my half smile. Banji was definitely prepared for problem situations, even though he did not carry any weapons to his daily activities. Only a fool would think that weapons were more dangerous than spells.

"Give me an arrow." He said.

I tossed him one of the four I was holding and tossed the others back in the quiver on my back. Banji caught it quite awkwardly. From his bag, he grabbed a ball of rope and started to unwind it.

"Here." I cut the small rope with my knife.

Banji pulled a bright yellow gemstone from the bag and bound it to the arrow. When he was sure it was secured safely, he tossed the arrow back at me.

"What does it do?"

"Giving Zamsar the extra time he needs to get himself free."

My eyebrows shot up. This indeed came in pretty handy.