Chapter 1

It was probably best described as a super volcano; towering above all else around it, spluttering enormous clouds of serpentine smoke from its opening. The quakes it exerted seemed to shake not only the volcano but the whole planet it was situated on.

The smoke continued to rise though, casting the sea into shadows of deep greys and purples and all those who didn't want to be affected by the nontoxic gasses rose further into the sky, the creatures staying clear and seeking fresh air further away.

Landslides thundered down the sides of cliffs and the volcano's slopes and magma clogged fireballs shot out from deep within the bowels of the volcano where more magma and lava brewed ready for excretion. Everything rumbled threateningly.

Another seismic quake made a temple far below the volcano tremble but it stood strong, refusing to fall down. Multiple pathways lead towards it, all diverging from the red-leaved forest that stood for hundreds of miles.

It was through part of this forest that a figure burst from the branches, running as fast as his legs would carry him.

Though the volcano seemed to be the biggest threat that was driving the figure forward, it was not the threat that kept the figure running hard. He was actually running from the dozens of figures who emerged from the inner parts of the temple: in quick and hot pursuit.

The figures were not like the one they were perusing: they had bright yellow hoods and wore loincloths that stood out in stark contrast with their skin which was more like cracked and splitting clay than actual skin. They looked like they'd been left in the sun too long and were drying out. Primitive and simple markings covered their skin.

They yelled furiously as they ran after the figure who was desperately trying to get away.

The cloths covering the figure's face were beginning to interfere with his breathing, whereas before they had been used to disguise him.

James. T. Kirk pulled them off as he ran, whipping them to the side and feeling the cool air wash over his clammy face and relieved at the fresh air he was able to gulp into his burning lungs.

He lunged to the side, avoiding a spear that was thrown his way. It would have terminated his life as surely as any kind of Starfleet weapon.

Around him, the Nibiran forest seemed intent of slowing him down, fallen branches and tangled leaves made him stumble and lash out as he tried to get through.

Emitting a scream of outrage, the high Nibiran priest cried out and reminded Kirk of the scroll he had just stolen from their most holy temple.

Kirk fought to lengthen his stride to get away from the human-like creatures with black pupil-less eyes. They would show him no mercy if they got hold of him now: that much he knew.

He just had to keep running and if all went according to plan that wouldn't be much longer.

Then again, he didn't think he'd be able to run for much longer.

Suddenly from the foliage, a massive fanged four-legged beast reared up unexpectedly in front of him.

Unknowing what else to do, Kirk drew his phaser and hit the creature with a full blast from his weapon before it could swipe at him with a gigantic paw.

It fell forwards, hitting the ground in a pile of slumped flesh: a pile of legs and fur.

Behind it was another wrapped up figure who faced Kirk before whipping off its own facial coverings.

"Dammit, man," McCoy spluttered, "That was our ride! You just stunned our ride!"

Kirk stood staring at the ship's doctor before muttering, "Great."

Just then both men had to begin running as the natives furiously caught up to them.

"Kirk to Shuttle one: Locals are out of immediate kill zone, I've given them something else to focus on. You're clear to proceed as we discussed! I repeat you are clear!" Kirk yelled down his communicator knowing that the message had gotten through.

Behind them the volcano began to cry streams of lava, bleeding out excessively.

McCoy was as he always was, "Being chased by howling homicidal indigenes is testing my sprinting abilities!" then he shot Kirk a look, "Of course if someone hadn't shot our ride . . ."

Kirk shook his head, "Can't hear you, Bones. Volcano noise!"

Just then the communicator buzzed, "I'm supposing I'm not interrupting anything too important when I call to ask . . . WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU!?"

Kez's voice made Kirk smile slightly and feel more assured as he dodged another flying spear.

"Ah, Stibbons. Your boyfriend shot our ride!" Bones yelled.