Chapter 5

Below, the Nibirans were busy worshipping their scroll until a loud rumble far too close to be from the volcano, sounded near them. They stood and watched with open mouths as a vast shape loomed in front of them, sea water cascading down off the monstrous ship as the Enterprise rose from the depths of the sea, up and up until it was hovering and moving over the red forests, water dripping down onto everything below.

"You are one mad kid," Scotty said as he handed Kez the suit helmet which she fixed into place.

Kirk stood behind him, "You reading me okay?"

Kez held her thumbs up, an eager smile on her face. Kirk returned the smile but inside, both of them were shaking with pure fear.

The transporter pad would give Kez the extra boost she'd need to get down into the volcano . . . coming back would be a whole different kettle of fish. But she'd done this before . . . onto an enemy Romulan ship.

Kez stood on the transporter pad and nodded.

"If he resists you have my full permission to knock him out," Kirk said and Kez thought she heard his voice tremble slightly.

"I'll put us back on the bridge." Kez said thinking that  was actually a bit optimistic so added, "Or somewhere near." Then blew Kirk a kiss which he rolled his eyes at.

"Right you are, lass." Scotty said from the panel.

"Energize."

. . . 00:09 . . . 00:08 . . .

Spock crouched, eyes closed, embracing his inevitable end. Feeling nothing, he shunned all emotions and thoughts, unwilling to embrace anything.

He was surprised when suddenly the rock he was stood on shift under some kind of sudden force before opening his eyes.

He was just in time to see a figure in a matching Exosuit struggling to keep their balance on the rock's edge and behind them the chugging pit of lava.

Spock managed to frown but that was all before the figure sprung at him, gripping him tightly as a gut-wrenching feeling took over his body.

"Kirk to Stibbons? Come in Lieutenant!" Kirk said down the comm.

"We lost connection with her as soon as she was off ship." Uhura choked unwilling to accept that she's possibly just lost her boyfriend and her best friend both at the same time. A feeling of eclipsing darkness overwhelmed Kirk.

There was a cracking sound, like thunder ripping the sky apart – and Kirk just had time to sit up before two figures flashed into presence near the ceiling of the bridge.

Gravity took hold and Kez felt herself falling, then managed to port again to avoid the decent and landed on her feet before stumbling.

Spock, on the other hand, landed precisely . . . and he was not happy.

Kirk sighed in relief at the sight of his friend and love, exosuits steaming and burned but intact enough to know that both the people in the suits were alive.

"I'm good," Kez said pulling off her helmet and shaking her hair out.

Kirk nodded, "Spock – you all right?"

The science officer stood so still that Kirk had to do a double take and began doubting his friend was alive. But after a long pause, Spock flexed his hands, pulled off his helmet and surveyed everyone on the bridge then focused his full attention on Kirk.

"Captain, you let them see our ship."

Kez looked at Bones then they said almost at the same time, "He's fine."

There was a rattle below the ship and Chekov clapped his hands, "Commander Spock, sir. Your device has successfully detonated."

Spock wasn't interested, "You violated the Prime Directive."

Kirk shrugged, "Yeah, they saw us, so what? Big deal."

Spock was unable to reply for Kirk had turned away and sat back in the Captain's Chair.

Kez, now out of her suit, patted Spock's shoulder and smiled, "It's okay buddy, at least you're living and breathing. Can't run a ship without you."

Spock looked at her critically before exiting the bridge.

Kez looked over at Uhura who looked both relieved but annoyed beyond belief.

He'll be right, Kez thought, moving to resuming her position in the medbay happily.