Chapter 8

Kez reacted faster than Kirk.

When he threw himself to the floor as the window shattered inward with consecutive explosive fire, Kez had already grabbed two Captains by their sleeves, ported from the room into the corridor further down and bundled them into the safety of the lift before porting back into the room.

The conference suite was being reduced to rubble as the shuttle outside sent shot after shot into the room, causing absolute carnage. Kez was forced to the ground as she watched security personnel pour into the room only to be struck down by random shots.

Kez kicked one of the guns towards her and leant over the top of a table, fired three bursts and sunk back down. Near to her, a Captain struggled with an injured leg. She grabbed him and ported back into the corridor, ripping off a piece of his trousers to use as wadding to soak up the blood from his wound and securing a large strip of material around his thigh to act as a tourniquet, stemming the flow of blood. 

She could see Spock helping to get people out of the room, evacuating them calmly the way she'd expected him to do, seemingly unphased by the carnage.

Kirk.

She made sure the Captain was stable and safe on the floor then thought about Kirk hard in her mind.

Kirk jumped when suddenly Kez appeared beside him from nowhere. She handed him the pulse rifle she had stashed before snatching up another one that had fallen from a fallen security guards hands.

"You need to get out of here!" He yelled at her as more shots erupted around them.

"Not without you!" Kez yelled back, keeping her head low as a shot shattered the plaster wall near her head.

Kirk realised there was no point arguing with her, she was stubborn.

"Do you see the glass offices over there!?" Kirk yelled back to her, grabbing her shoulder so he could direct her line of sight to look at where he was pointing.

Kez saw the glass offices, to the left of the weaving jump ship that was still firing into the conference room.

"Yeah! I see them!" She yelled looking at Kirk whose face was just inches away from hers.

"Think you could get us over there? Or isn't it a clear enough spot?" He asked her more gently but still loud enough to be heard above the carnage.

"Yeah!" Not entirely sure why she had to, Kez wrapped her arms tightly around her him and ported.

They landed huddled in the middle of the quiet office quarter, all glass panels and windows.

Kez lifted her head to stare out of the massive window in front of her to where the jump ship was bobbing and weaving like some kind of prize fighter, dodging attack shots before unleashing full fire into the room again.

Kez's heart was sinking slowly in her chest and her mind was racing: What the hell was this mad man doing?

Kirk ran up beside her and raised the rifle and sent out one shot. The window shattered and rained down glass into the room, showering and glistening to the floor.

"Fire!" He yelled.

Kez didn't need to be told twice. Taking up her own rifle she began to fire a continuous burst of shots at the jump ship.

It took Kirk even less time than it did Kez to realise that their shots just skimmed off the protective armour of the jump ship.

Kez lowered her gun as Kirk began searching the room for something . . . anything to help them.

Kez could make out the figure of John Harrison in the cockpit and at the moment he was staring directly at her.

Kez didn't move though, she stood glaring, hoping to look more threatening then she felt. She wasn't budging, and she was going to bring Harrison's ship down, no matter what it took.

In fact, as Kez stared she realised that there was no emotion on the man's face. No savage or bloodthirsty looks crossing his features as he continued to fire into the room – no pain for the mass murder he was committing.

He might as well have been a machine.

 Kirk returned to her side holding the end of a firehose.

"What's this for?" Kez asked him as he began tying it around the end of his rifle.

"Trust me. How good's your throwing arm?"

Kez frowned at him, "Shocking. Why?"

Kirk made a grumble and pursed his lips together with effort as he finished tying the hose.

"Can you port -,"

"Oh No! There is no way, Kirk, am I porting onto that craft! Never!"

Kirk looked at her with an eyebrow raised, "I wasn't going to suggest it."

"That's okay then," Kez said without hesitation.

Kirk held up the rifle, "Could you port and throw this over that distance?"

Kez looked out the window at the weaving craft. She knew what Kirk wanted to do. She nodded slightly as Kirk began pulling some slack from the hose so that it wouldn't pull tight in mid-air.

"You port, I'll throw, you catch and throw, then port back," Kirk said as Kez nodded. This was either not going to work or be a miracle.

She walked up to the window noticing that Harrison had turned his attention back to her. She hated the look in his eyes, almost as if he was curious about her, and somewhere in her sturred a deep feeling of familiarity like she knew him.

Kirk yelled at her, breaking her out of her trance, throwing the rifle at full pelt. Kez ported into the airspace between the ship and the window, caught the hose lightning fast and thrust it towards the jump ship before porting back into the room, just as she began falling towards the ground below.

Kirk was stood on the other side of the taught hosepipe surveying his work as the rifle was sucked into the jump ships air intake.

Kez watched as it stopped the turbine and blew it up, the ship chugging and wheezing as it lost balance and power, trying to pull away from the hose.

"Nice job," Kez said expecting the ship to go down sometime soon.

"Yeah," Kirk agreed, "I didn't expect it to work so wel -," He was cut short when a massive cracking noise sounded behind them.

They turned to see the hose reel and the part of the wall it was attached to become radged free and suddenly shooting towards them, pulled along by the jump ship.

Kirk grabbed Kez at the same time she grabbed him and they both pulled each other to the ground as the chunky mass sailed over their head and straight into the jump ships air intake, reeled in by the hose.

This time there was a massive explosion as the whole starboard side of the ship was destroyed, the remaining parts of the ship losing power and altitude.

Through belching smoke and flames, the stricken ship began to shudder and heel to one side, spinning, ever picking up speed.

Kirk and Kez ran to the edge of the building to inspect the damage they had inflicted.

They were met with the cold, unreadable stare of John Harrison, watching them through the front screen of the jump ship.

Just then swirls of light engulfed the figure and Kez looked away to avoid being blinded by the light.

But when she looked back the cockpit was empty.